Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Long time listener first time caller

Hey everyone,
I've been a member here for a while but am just getting around to posting. I have always been fascinated by TVs, have dabbled in repair and I am also a recovering TV collector. My favorites are Sony Trinitrons, particularly mid-70s through mid-90s. I just love the styling and features of that era. (Ever seen the movie Koyaanisqatsi? There are a couple of shots from inside a Sony TV plant, I am assuming in San Diego or just over the Mexican border. The movie is available for free on YouTube. One of the 19"s I have looks like a model they are assembling in the movie.)
I really do not have a lot of time for repair anymore and want to clear up my workspace and storage spaces, so I am thinning out the collection and keeping a few good sets in working order throughout the house. My main set is a Panasonic 1080i CRT RP and the rest are all Sony Trinitrons (20" in the bedroom, 13" in the kitchen, 32" Vega in the basement and a couple of vintage 19"s and a vintage 12" in the garage, 12" super fine pitch rack mount monitor awaiting repair). I do have a Sony 50" plasma monitor (first-gen) that needs repair, planning on getting to that one someday.
I also dabble in JP1 programming a little - I have a late 90s-vintage One For All Home Theater Director that is programmed to work my main entertainment system. No cable or satellite, just a Channel Master roof antenna with rotor, distribution amps, Tivo HD with lifetime sub, a first gen Motorola HD STB and a handful of CECBs.
I have really enjoyed following the various CT-100 restoration threads and am getting into the info in the rectangular solid state section.
Thanks for the great forum, looking forward to reading and posting more.
Rob
Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 PM
RCA 741PCS

Hi Rob,
Welcome to the posting side of the fence. I like Trinitrons too. My 1st color set I picked out of the trash and got running back in the late 80s was a Trinitron

I haven't seen that movie, but I read about it at imdb - it sounds pretty cool.

Bob
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome to VK!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Not sure how I got here.

welcome : ) I got a KV-1205 I had it as a daily use set back in the early mid 90's but for some reason the picture gets dark for a few hours at a time and I just never did anything with it. I guess its waiting to be fixed like some of your sets. I'm also an antenna only person. I got as new Winegard HD-7698P from Solid Signal over the summer, I have one preamp, and one distribution amp and get the VHF channels from NYC pretty good, but the UHF channels pretty much come in only when the want to. With Analog I got away with a booster and a 40 mile antenna in the closet. The new one is 10 feet above the roof. And its sooooo long that it broke in half from the snow this winter....Short life for that sucker....