Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

new here and would like help please

I am new here, just joined today. I have an older philco black & white t.v., I've been trying for about four month's now to get an tube-layout or schematic. I been been told too go too about one-hundred or so sites with no luck, and my two typing fingers in traction a few times. I was woundering if some one on this site might be able too help me?, the t.v. is an philco black & white- console style, chassis=#tv390---mode-#2134---- I managed to get two pictures on my profile page. it has been suggested that the set may be an 1956-56 mdel year. I'm not sure about this,
?, the sereal # might be--0252592,. if I measured the picture tube correctly?, it is "20".

if anybody here can help me?, I would appreceate it very much,

thankyou dawgs
Old 02-17-2010, 05:41 PM
RCA 741PCS

Hi dawgs - welcome to VK. That's a nice looking set. I think it might be from 1955. Check out the pictures from 1955 here: http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-59-PHILCO.htm

The 4128 and 6110 have the same dual speakers. The only one close to the model # you gave is the 51-T2134 from 1951, but I don't think that's what you have.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Mark

Welcome to VK! I have one from '54 and looks very similar, '55 looks right for yours. These are great sets, mine is still going strong on almost all original parts. Looking forward to some screen shots!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
RCA 741PCS

I dug out my Wallace Telaide for Philco 1952-1956 and found your chassis

I don't have a scanner big enough to handle these ledger size pages so I took some hi-res pictures. You can download them here: http://www.bobandersen.com/images/schematics/philco/

If you have trouble reading them, let me know and I'll try to do a better job.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
a- v- karma member

This is most likely a 21-inch tube. Look for a label on the tube itself, it should
have a number starting with 21, and ending with P4, or P4A, or P4B. P4
is the type of phosphor (fluorescent screen coating) used in practically all
B&W TV picture tubes. Good luck, it's always good to see a nice old TV kept alive.

The picture in my avatar shows a Canadian built Electrohome TV from 1960,
with a 21-inch, 110-degree deflection picture tube. Regards.
Audiokarma
Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 PM
RCA 741PCS

The schematic I pulled out for a TV390 chassis calls for a 21AMP4A picture tube.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator

The Sams index say the schematic for that set is a 321-11

I don't have one but maybe someone here will.
You can also go to the Sams Web Site and order a PDF scan of it.

http://www.samswebsite.com/photofact...&Search=Search

It's $7.00 and usually takes a few days for them to scan and E-mail it.

You can also probably get an original from John Kendall for $7.99 shipped at http://www.vintage-electronics.com/tubes.htm
Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

re: help

wow! I can't beleave all the help you guys gave me so soon after writting this post. . I gained more information in two days than in months, bandersen has been helpful in having an tube layout posted with the pictures he posted on here, I've try to copy the picture and enlarge it and print it, that's when things get all blury. being very thankful for his help and woundering if anybody here might have an bigger and clearer picute too post so I can get an cleraer view too download and print or just to copy off here too put the tubes back where they belong and get back to the original problem of an over heating speaker output tranformer. a lesson learned on future projects, don't I say don't ever pull all the tubes out of any project unless there is is a tube layout mounted some where on on the project or you make an tube layout as you are pulling the tubes out one at a time.

thanyou again guys- dawgs
Old 02-19-2010, 04:21 AM
RCA 741PCS

Did you try the scan I made ? http://www.bobandersen.com/images/sc...v390-chart.bmp
Old 02-19-2010, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you still need the Sams, let me know. I have a spare copy that I could mail you.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

sorry bandersen

[IMG]my pictures[/IMG]
Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

abbsent

hi guys, sorry I have'nt been here in a few days. I've been tied-up in multible hospitle .,visits frome a gallblader operation gone terribly wrong at surgens hands . most of thier frigin gadgets out of me now, ,only one more to go. anyhow, enough of me, I want to thankyou bandersen, for your picture of the philco-390, I did'nt know that when you save it to yours pictures folder, that you can use the thumbwheel of the mouse to make it bigger or smaller. I was able too make it big enough to print off a big picture to find out where and too put all the tubes back in their places, thankyou again bandersen. (and thankyous all that sent information on my page about help for the philco-390 ) if I might ask an other qwestion, in this t.v.-set, the philco-390-, in the beginning, the audio/output transformer was over heating really good.,. I was woundering, there is an capacitor that runs frome chassia ground to pin 1 of the audio out/put tube 6W6)). let me go back a tiny bit, I took the oppertunity to print off all the tubes in this set,))) and just found out, theres no internal connection on pin 1 or pin 8. o-kay, now I'm confused, I'm thinking the ouver/heating might be the xformer it self or may-be a bad 6W6 out/put tube. please help me again, thankyou again.

dawgs
Old 02-25-2010, 09:29 PM
RCA 741PCS

Hi dawgs,

I hope you're feeling better. Sometimes unused tube pins were used for tie points for components. That might explain your cap on pin 1. I'd replace all the caps in the audio section and check the resistors if you haven't already. Then I'd power the set up and test the voltages - in particular pin 3 & 4 on the 6W6. They should be 255v and 260v respectively. Check the 3.2 ohm speaker coil too and 6W6 if you have a tube tester. Worst case scenario you've got a bad audio xfrmr. Try to eliminate everything else first though. It might me a little tough to track down a replacement but we'll deal with that only if we need to.

Bob
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

thanx for the reply

thanx bandersen for the reply, I'm not all that smart when it comes to tube radios or t.v.s, for me, it's sort of hit & miss., more miss then hit. bandersen, may I ask you an couple of more qwuestions?. is it possible to run the chassis part of the set out/side and with the c.r.t., yoke & the h.v. frome the picture tube un-hooked,. and can I use a audio out/put xformer frome a tube radio with the same color code on the input & output of the tube radio xformer leads?.

thanx again to you and every-body on this site.

dawgs
Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 PM
RCA 741PCS

It's generally a bad idea to run the set without the yoke hooked up. Possibly, if you pulled the horizontal and vertical output tubes it would be OK. Maybe someone else can chime in on this ?

You'll need to make sure the impedance of the audio transformer is the same.

Bob