Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2023, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Help with piccolo j-310 pincushion

Hello, i bought this nice little 6 inch portable color television from japan (it was unconfirmed operation). Tv came wrapped in news paper and tape but it was in one piece i then went on and tryed it out and it worked normally except it had little bit of pincushion problems..

Tv model is piccolo j-310 and its made in taiwan, board says emperor PWB CTV 004D. I cant find schematics or any data on it.

I changed all electrolytic caps as google suggests + all film caps near flyback transformer but it didnt help.

Board has only pots for vertical position and size and b+ adjustment and AGC adjustment + some color pots at neckboard and un named adjustable coils i believe. I tryed the redneck method of messing with the screw driver but didnt help.

I got some scope pictures of signals but im not smart and experienced enough to do accurate diagnosis.

While doing measuring one of the caps blew up. I replaced it with old one and picture got narrower. I learned that it was bi polar cap that is one side to horizontal deflection coil and other leg goes to inductor who then passes the signal to ground. I looked in to it with scope and indeed voltage is spikeing just over 25v witch is capacitor rating. The old bipolar cap is very big in size compared to new one (same values 3,3uf and 25v) old cap dosent get very hot. I tryed shorting inductor to ground and picture got almost good, just little too wide and and still very little pincushioning. This made me to believe that it must be horizontal deflection yoke coil partially shorted becouse it isnt producing enough magnetism to image but still passes too much voltage to ground side(this is my theory but im basically guessing here)

I made some bipolar caps of regular caps to try different values but 3,3 - 5uf range seems optimal for picture widht but these caps go hot.
Old 3,3uf cap gives different widht then the one that blew up or 5uf that i made of 2 10uf caps

I then started to looking at horizontal output transistor (HOT) vaweforms and I also took amperage measurement from horizontal deflection circuit to see if its shorted or something i try puting up some photos.

Is here any experienced tech who can lead me to right way?

Horizontal output transistor voltage:blue and yellow is current of same circuit

Blue: voltage coming out of HOT
Yellow: voltage that is driving HOT

Voltage coming out of horizontal yoke coil. Is this normal looking? Seems odd to me and i cant find any reference vaweforms for this side of yoke.

Symptom

Last edited by Pjaska; 09-29-2023 at 11:54 PM. Reason: https://ibb.co/Br87qDv