Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, I went in to VLIN which is default at 9. I went down to 7. No change. I went up to 11. No change. I don't know what's going on
Old 02-09-2023, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Could it be a different setting? Is it possible it's not something to with service mode?
Old 02-09-2023, 06:53 PM
jbattles

well sometimes old tech and new tech don't play well together. Sega's sync might be to slow, but i don't how to change that.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbattles View Post
well sometimes old tech and new tech don't play well together. Sega's sync might be to slow, but i don't how to change that.
I'm actually gonna try different things tomorrow. Maybe it just doesn't like the genesis. Kinda like the way some zenith sets didn't like the first Playstation. I have numerous systems I can try. I just assumed this was the reason the set was retired but then again, I've picked up many sets from the trash that worked like new. I'll post again when I try a few things.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:15 AM
jbattles

more than likely it was retired for a new flat screen. i am guilty of it too, but i saved my Sony and in the closet.
Audiokarma
Old 02-10-2023, 10:28 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbattles View Post
more than likely it was retired for a new flat screen. i am guilty of it too, but i saved my Sony and in the closet.
I think we have got 3 CRT sets like that. One of which is still basically set up in the now unused bedroom it used to be used in...Cable box is gone now though since we ditched cable for ROKU. When it's getting to be well in the 3 figures and climbing and they're offering new customers the gateway (to getting scammed) drug $20 subscription while cranking us up, and the content is all disgusting woke propaganda with hardly anything worth watching you eventually get fed up and walk away... Them making the switch from analog cable to 100% encrypted digital where we suddenly had to pay them rent for each tuner didn't win them any positive points either...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-10-2023, 10:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's why I never fell for the digital hype after cable. I decided if I needed to watch TV, I'd hit up the 1500 vhs or several hundred dvd pile 😂
Old 02-10-2023, 11:45 AM
jbattles

well its two different medians 1. CRT is classic Sony picture is fantastic along with chroma color tube. its all in preference, just one side will like and put down the other. I like both a VCR looks better on a CRT and old shows. The Roku, blue ray looks better on newer sets. I like to stay in the middle. We cant stay in the past, but we can remember past and look to the future. Network TV is junk that's why i watch a lot of you tube. There is a lot of great content makers out there.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, I watch alot of YouTube. I like some of the urban exploration. Old abandoned houses etc. There's some good stuff on reviving old cars too.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

As far as repairs go you need a block diagram & schematic at the least.
The block will show you the paths for all the different inputs. The OSD
looks good & thats a helpful start. We sold Sony & never had problems like this
until flat screens & HDTV. I would bet there is a SMD cap bad but they are
full of them & if one is bad usually others are near that. Its like a
high end car. Get rid of it near the end of a warranty or it will cost
you kilobucks every year.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma
Old 02-10-2023, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wondered about the caps. Did these sets have something in the service menu showing number of hours used?
Old 02-12-2023, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, I connected a Playstation 2 and it's still acting up. This would be the reason it was discarded. Could it be the vertical ic or am I definitely looking at caps? Tbh, I'm surprised a 2003 would have bad caps already. I've got several sets, all way older, and they work like new. Where should I look? I have the complete service manual btw. Here's a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/bNcsNO9E1JY
Old 02-13-2023, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
Could it be the vertical ic or am I definitely looking at caps?
https://youtu.be/bNcsNO9E1JY
Not the IC, not the output IC anyway. Your deflection is full and linear and the graphics are stable which indicates a problem in the sync and not the output. The jungle IC is a possibility.

Regarding caps - the do go bad and did go bad even when I used to work on these when they were only a few years old.

My first step when suspecting a crappy *electrolytic* was to get out a heat gun (careful) or a hair dryer (safer) and warm up the board. If the picture stabilized or even corrected itself, I'd drag out the ESR meter and have at it once the board cooled off. With the schematic, you can limit yourself to the areas around the jungle having to do with video and sync.

John
Old 02-13-2023, 10:55 AM
M is for Memory

Also that was about the height of the cap plague era. I've got a top end Dell from that year and 5 years ago I had to recap the power supply and the motherboard multiple times to keep it alive...I think I swapped supplies when I had non-zero money, but still there were tons of bad caps left in it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-13-2023, 10:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, soon as I can open it up, I'll run it for awhile and put heat on them. If it doesn't get better with heat, I'm assuming it'll be the jungle ic then? I have some schematics here.

Last edited by pac.attack76; 04-19-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Audiokarma