Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Rca Tc-127

I have had my eye on an RCA TC-127 at the Greensboro, NC. Flea Market for a year. The guy posting about finding his parents TV reminded me of this set which I have resisted at $50 thinking it was too high a price.

Well I got it for $40 and its in the kitchen with a 100W light bulb in series with the line chord. At first the bulb was normally bright and I found out that the LV Rectifier was open. I replaced that and she has been cooking for a couple of hours on slow burn. I'm just not sure how long to use the low voltage warmup (I think this is 60 volts) before I throw 110v on the line.

The set has a round 12LP4 GE replacement crt with no booster so that is good. I had hoped it was a 10BP4 like my 8T243 so I would have an extra. The chassis looks identical to the 243 except there is some weird interlock device on the back of the 127 that looks like a switch with two wires going under the chassis. Dont know what that is all about. The cabinet has its share of scratches but the old oil stain took care of that. She cleaned up well and is 100% complete. The set has half doors which are in great shape. I am satisfied at $40. Wish me luck with the slow warm. Maybe she will come alive!!
Old 07-17-2006, 07:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

So where are the pics???
Terry
Old 07-17-2006, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

$40 for a complete 12" set sounds like a fair deal to me, and I'm a real cheapskate. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'll post pic's as soon as I get some batteries for my camera and get the set back together. I tried a slow warm for about 4 hours with a 100 watt bulb. Everything was looking great. All the tube filaments bareley glowing and nothing was getting hot. Well when I applied 110V all hell broke loose. The transformer sounded a bit loud and next thing I know my 4 way recepticle circuit protector kicked out (which was good). Sounds like the typical electrolytic trouble in the power supply. I diconnected several sections in the multi section cans and checked them with an analog ohm meter. The bad part here is so far I havent found anything that looks like a short. The needle goes to zero and slowly gains high resistance which should be pretty normal.

With a bad short I would think I would find the needle decending to a low resistance or staying in one place with little or no "sweep" action. If I'm wrong please correct me. Now I did notice that one newer lookin 3 section can had a good strong hold on zero for a couple of seconds before gaining rapid resistance on all of the sections. One of the older ones did have a kind of weaker reading if that makes sense. The needle would sweep but with no hold at zero when polarity is reversed. Could that be a short?

I do remember when I attempted reviving my 8t-243 I replaced all of the power supply cans plus many others and the original problem of eating LV rectifiers after 3 seconds of operation was gone but I never found an out and out bad reading with my multimeter. I just started replacing things. Is there something I am doing wrong? I hope and pray the transformer is not the problem. I dont want to sacrifice my 8t-243 chassis for the sake of the much more handsome TC-127. It looks like you could swap the crts and have the same set. Probably not that simple.

Any idea??