Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:03 PM
AK Member

Sony RVP-4010 40" Projection TV

I have a non-working Sony RVP-4010 40" Projection TV and I'm thinking about getting rid of it as it's taking up to much storage space. Yes, it's on a pallet and there is a reason there are two lifting handles on each side. The problem it is having is when turned-on the unit will power-up for about 30 seconds going to a blue screen, then the blue screen flutters and the unit turns-off. If you turn it on again, it only takes a few seconds for it to shut-down again. I don't want to send it out to be fixed, as I'll never use it (too large for my TV room) and I don't want to see a repair bill larger then my mortgage payment. Any idea what is wrong and cost to fix? I should bring it in for an estimate, but the repair shops in my area are not the best. The MSRP was close to $12,000 but that doesn't mean anything. What would be a fair price to ask for this unit with it needing to be fixed and how much if the repair was done? Thank you for your help in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sony.JPG (183.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-31-2006, 08:08 PM
loves the smell of flux..

Problem with selling a TV like this is the size. You can't ship it, so you would have to sell it locally. Does this TV have a tuner, or is it just a monitor? What you describe sounds like the TV just waiting for a signal.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Blue CRTs on those Sonys are notorious for shorting. Not sure why it's so often the blue, but that's my experience.

And I'm afraid that as Andy says, a nonworking bigscreen is hard to sell at any price. In fact, my former boss charges $90 to come and remove them. And he gets calls for that all the time.

If anyone wants free late model projection TVs, stop into any TV repair shop. You will leave with a full truck!

Charles