Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

things they did in the 40,50's

i am not sure if you can read the text on the pics,i dont have a scanner..so i used my camera.I thought the part about how this guy was trying to replace the base on CRT''S interesting.also another guy uses HV from another set to give HV to a NO HV set..i suppose it would work,I came across a pile of factory GE tech talk,in one section it even shows GE's inline freq scan type of color picture tube.."post acceleration" in 1956,it shows it using a striped phopher,i never knew they had their hands in color CRT design..

Last edited by wiseguy; 07-05-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's interesting, I like reading these old repair stories. I had a similar problem trying to replace a base on a 21FJP22 a few months ago, after trying for several hours, my solution was to solder long pieces of solder wire onto each of the wires, then with the extra wire to work with it is easier to thread the wires through the pins. Then you cut the solder wire comming out the back of the base after it is on leaving just a litle bit sticking out, then just heat the pins and the bit of solder still stuck to the wires melts and solders it together.

Last edited by Adam; 07-10-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

here is another,tells about how tubes are "aluminized" .. interesting..
I am not sure if im boring members or not,i never knew this stuff til i read
this GE tech talk info..hope you can read it..

Last edited by wiseguy; 07-05-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Your not boring me, I love that type of stuff.

Interesting how they did the aluminizing.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

I think that stuff is great too!
I am surprised at the process to aluminize. Interesting that the plastic bakes out. Another story that reminds me that we had most technology needs inplace back in the '50's.
My monitor wouldn't show the color TV stuff clear.

Those old B/W screens often get dark areas as if the phosphers are burned off or maybe just darkened in color. I wonder if aluminized tubes get that too?
Audiokarma
Old 07-11-2006, 12:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

When i was in Tech school our books had similar descriptions of really cool 'test tips' and tricks from techs. I love reading how other people solve problems, really helps me think outside the box sometimes, and ive actually used several little tricks i read in my books on cars ive worked on! Keep posting as i LOVE reading this stuff!!
Old 07-11-2006, 06:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I love to read about interesting repair solutions, too. I think repairmen had to be especially ingenious during WWII, when supplies were short and you had to keep everyone's old sets working . . . one way or another.

But there has always been a ready market for clever/cheap repair tricks. I grew up in a tiny rural MN town in the 1950s/1960s, and my Dad never failed to crow when the local TV guy (Irv) was able to get our TV working again for, say, $1.50. One of my most treasured possessions is a giveaway screwdriver with Irv's name on the handle. I 'borrowed' it from my Dad about 30 years ago, and he is never getting it back.

More and more of those old tricks may become relevant as the supply of old TVs and radios (and parts!) becomes more scarce.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 07-14-2006, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

You know, that giveaway screwdriver was a good idea. The customer could use it to "fine tune" all those screws in the back-and then hire Irv to come and put them back where they belong!
Old 07-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Nowadays, some kid would "borrow" it from his daddy, stick it in the TV, get the Sh!t shocked outta him, & ol' Irv gets the pants sued offa him...Ain't Moderne Life just WUNNERFUL ?!?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow
You know, that giveaway screwdriver was a good idea. The customer could use it to "fine tune" all those screws in the back-and then hire Irv to come and put them back where they belong!
Don't forget about tightening all those loose screws in the tops of those little metal cans on the chassis.
(I actually heard of this happening !!)

bh

Audiokarma
Old 07-18-2006, 03:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Aluminised CRT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Brady
I think that stuff is great too!
I am surprised at the process to aluminize. Interesting that the plastic bakes out. Another story that reminds me that we had most technology needs inplace back in the '50's.
My monitor wouldn't show the color TV stuff clear.

Those old B/W screens often get dark areas as if the phosphers are burned off or maybe just darkened in color. I wonder if aluminized tubes get that too?
I've had several sets which use 10fp4's which are aluminised and when properly restored have excellant quality pictures. All of them had the original CRT with a good gun. If there was any ion burn , it was very minimal at best. 5tp4 projection CRT's are aluminised , but will ion burn with time. But we're talking about a much higher beam current here, of course.

Bob H.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:17 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

In general, the aluminization protects the phosphor from ion burn - so ion traps went out when aluminized tubes came in.

Is it known whether the effect in the 5TP4's is really ion burn, or something else? HV projection tubes could also be subject to browning of the glass (from X-rays, I think).
Old 07-19-2006, 03:12 PM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

I have heard that phosphors burn (age) like that on projection tubes because they're driven so hard. The burn in this case is from electrons not ions, and it's more pronounced in projection tubes because they're driven much harder than regular CRTs. It's aging of the phoshor, like when you see a burned-in image on a computer monitor or how the phosphor on a regular CRT will discolor or even be destroyed if you leave the brightness up with no vertical deflection.

I'm not an engineer and I don't play one on TV, so if anyone feels the need to correct me on this, please do!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:27 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Phosphor burn due to beam current is generally uniform over the raster, since the video is random (excluding stationary logos and the CNN crawls, etc.); but ion burn is worst at the center and fades away toward the edges.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good Point, The browning I've seen relative to phosphor burn in projection CRT's is always a raster shaped pattern as opposed to the spot in the middle. I once heard of a
RCA theater projection system which had such high beam currents that if the tube lost sweep, the electron beam would cause the tubes face to be cut and fracture until the vacuum was compromised. This used a stock Westinghouse brute force high voltage power supply sutible for use with X ray gear. 80 kv at 135 ma if memory serves.
Audiokarma