Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:51 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Nice save but I definitely do not miss 1980s styling.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
Nice save but I definitely do not miss 1980s styling.
Mid 70's to late 80's are the best styling wise. 4 speakers and a full jack pack including a 1/4" headphone jack on a 20" set? Love it.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
Mid 70's to late 80's are the best styling wise. 4 speakers and a full jack pack including a 1/4" headphone jack on a 20" set? Love it.
They're among the best designs for sure. I never saw a set quite like this though.

I didn't know that RGB input was used on anything other than monitors. I'd certainly like to be able to use that port on my U-Matic, once I get new rubber in it that is.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:31 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
They're among the best designs for sure. I never saw a set quite like this though.

I didn't know that RGB input was used on anything other than monitors. I'd certainly like to be able to use that port on my U-Matic, once I get new rubber in it that is.
The EIAJ connector has a completely different pinout/signal set on that TV than the one on your Umatic does. The Umatic has 4 signal lines in it: (composite)Video in (Composite) Video out, Audio in, Audio out....That Monitor has a different 4 lines: Red video, Blue video, Green video, Sync...If you were to plug your umatic into that set it would not work.

About 10 years ago I had a working Sony PVM with an EIAJ connector for RGB input. My folks told me it was NOT coming with on a pending cross-country move, so I scrapped it. I still have the EIAJ connector from it (and a board or two)....Part of me wishes I had found a way to keep it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 12-16-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

@Wiscojim I had no idea about the "Sams" site with all the scans. Thank you for that.
@collectorad Thanks for that page from Taxan.

I'm figuring over the holidays I will tinker with it. First I am going to confirm those 2 grounds from the Taxan reference. I believe the only thing I have that outputs rgb natively is a model 1 Sega Genesis. Easy enough to make a jumper harness for testing.

Even if it's not rgb I still think it's neat. In 1986 with modest means we had Zenith's that we loved, even the neighbor that had a Trinitron (and let us know they did) didn't have stereo like this Lxi.
Audiokarma
Old 12-16-2017, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTs4life View Post
@Wiscojim I had no idea about the "Sams" site with all the scans. Thank you for that.
The Sams site isn't cheap, usually around $22 per service folder.

If you post a free classified ad here on VK and/or on ARF, you may find one of us with a spare Sams Photofact folder to sell cheap or even free.

http://www.videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/view...47327ef7928bc7

Old 12-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The EIAJ connector has a completely different pinout/signal set on that TV than the one on your Umatic does. The Umatic has 4 signal lines in it: (composite)Video in (Composite) Video out, Audio in, Audio out....That Monitor has a different 4 lines: Red video, Blue video, Green video, Sync...If you were to plug your umatic into that set it would not work.
My U-Matic has the identical EIAJ connector with "monitor" stamped above it.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:08 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
My U-Matic has the identical EIAJ connector with "monitor" stamped above it.
So does my U-Matic...My point is just because it has the same connector don't mean it uses the same signals.

If you plug the white RCA jack from your DVD player into your TV's Yellow RCA jack it will be the same as connecting your umatic to that set.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-16-2017, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

This connector is very specific and unique and the signal is meant to go back and forth to and from a VTR or a Umatic deck. I think it really only had one purpose. The cable used has the same large multi-pin EIAJ male connector on both ends and it enables the VTR or Umatic to record TV programs from the TV's tuner and it lets the VTR or Umatic play tapes on the TV. A two-way audio-video cable. It's as simple as that. I've used these EIAJ cables many times and they work flawlessly when the cable is good. It also locks in with a nice snap and doesn't come loose easily.

It's possible there were pro models of VHS or Beta VCRs with that same connector on them in the early days. EIAJ connectors were mostly used in pro setups or AV use in schools and rarely in a home situation and not, that I know of, on a computer.

By 1986 that was pretty old technology, but I've seen many 13" Panasonic monitors from the 1980s with the same EIAJ connector and these pre-date most home computers and were meant to simplify early video recording. A one-connector solution instead of using four RCA cables. And you could use the monitor's tuner and antenna instead of needing one in the recorder. This was also before widespread use of cable TV.

RCA jacks are really no comparison to this connector since they can carry many different kinds of signals. I even have an RCA jack in a Zenith radio-phono that carries 6 VAC to the little dial lamp jewel on the base of the console. This large greenish EIAJ connector is only meant to connect TV monitors to video recorders. Anyone who cut their teeth using those old video machines will say the same thing.