Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

The magic smoke escaped our 27" JVC

This afternoon, as I was finishing up lunch with some of the church folks, I got a frantic phone call from my mother, saying that the 27" JVC TV from 1997 in our livingroom was smoking, sizzling, and stinking and that I needed to come home and remove the TV from the house because she was afraid it would burn down the house.

When I returned home, I could smell that odor where something had burned up and she had already unplugged the TV; so, I took it outside, plugged it in, and it still had HV with no video.

I told her that I'd fix the set if it was worth fixing and she said she didn't want it back in the house again. I explained to her that the same thing could happen with anything electrical in the house. I also explained to her that TV's from that era generally had safety devices in them that will kick in before the TV gets carried away enough to catch the house on fire.

Besides some recalls on some earlier solid state TV's due to a fire hazard, I've never experienced a later model solid state TV that got carried away to the point where they caught on fire. I've seen flyback transformers blow up, resistors burn, etc; but, usually, something else will blow up before the flyback flames up.

For the time being, I stuck a 2002 20" Sony out of the den in place of the JVC and I stuck an '88 19" GE in the den where the Sony was located.

My Mother calmed down and said she might allow the JVC back in the house if I felt good about it not smoking again.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Back around 79 or so we went on a service call to a woman's house where her 2 or 3 year old Zenith 19" Chromacolor had burned up it's tripler, a common problem but not dangerous.

The set was in like new condition but she refused to have it fixed, went and bought a new one because she was afraid of the Zenith because of the smoke and noise it made.
She gave it to us and we put tripler in it and sold it for a nice profit, back when you could get $150 $200 for a set like that.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I recieved a 19" chroma II under the same crcumstances... Tripler went kablooey...
Installed a new one, and enjoyed it for a few years more, Still have the tripler to it lying around..

SR
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I received my Chromacolor console so cheap because the seller couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Anyway, as for the 27" JVC... might I suggest target practice?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:18 AM
Not sure how I got here.

I think I'll wrap my older tv's in some clear plastic so the "magic smoke" can't get away...