Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lincazer

How about a Lincazer? 1998 Lincoln Continental on a stretched 89 Blazer chassis. Has The stock throttle body fuel injected 350.
I work at an auto repair shop,we had about 10 junk cars in the back yard. My boss decided to do a major cleanout. So I said I had a really stupid idea of what to do with a rusted out Blazer and a 98 Lincoln.
The car is loaded with power steering,brakes.Ac,heated mirrors,heated seats etc.
I would work on it on my lunch break,2 years later it is 90% done.Just have to get the speedo to work. I'm running the factory GM ecm along with the Ford ecm.Alot of wiring
https://www.toadstation.com/lincazer
Old 09-14-2020, 10:32 AM
M is for Memory

Well its unique and it be a more reliable luxury off roader than a landrover.

If anyone asks you should say it's your monster truck "robber baron".

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-14-2020, 05:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimer View Post
How about a Lincazer? 1998 Lincoln Continental on a stretched 89 Blazer chassis. Has The stock throttle body fuel injected 350.
I work at an auto repair shop,we had about 10 junk cars in the back yard. My boss decided to do a major cleanout. So I said I had a really stupid idea of what to do with a rusted out Blazer and a 98 Lincoln.
The car is loaded with power steering,brakes.Ac,heated mirrors,heated seats etc.
I would work on it on my lunch break,2 years later it is 90% done.Just have to get the speedo to work. I'm running the factory GM ecm along with the Ford ecm.Alot of wiring
https://www.toadstation.com/lincazer
I can see the dedication in your build , two years is a lot of skipped lunches , and yeah I can totally understand needing to run the two ECMs . I can't see the GM ECM driving all of the body stuff anymore than the Ford ECM would want to run the GM engine .

Are you a member of any Lincoln forums ? If you post it to the one in my link half the people will think your a mechanical God and the other half will accuse you of creating a Frankenstein abomination . Personally I'd drive that , , , , oh Hell yeah , talk about instant "street cred"

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/index.php
Old 09-15-2020, 02:33 AM
The Resident Brony

Well that is pretty damn cool!

So you can go off-roading in your Lincoln Continental? For the speedo, you might need a gateway module to translate the Blazer's speed sensor signal to what the Ford body computer/instrument cluster expects it to be. Raspberry Pi? Should be simple, it's just a matter of knowing how many pulses/mile the Blazer gives, and how many the Ford expects. In fact, there might be generic modules available specifically for this purpose. I recall looking into it for a VW Vanagon that the customer intentionally had the wrong tire size and wanted an accurate speedo. Can't rightly remember if it was a cable speedo, but I recall saying it needed some electronics.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Accidental duplicate post

Last edited by grimer; 09-17-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-17-2020, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Well that is pretty damn cool!

So you can go off-roading in your Lincoln Continental? For the speedo, you might need a gateway module to translate the Blazer's speed sensor signal to what the Ford body computer/instrument cluster expects it to be. Raspberry Pi? Should be simple, it's just a matter of knowing how many pulses/mile the Blazer gives, and how many the Ford expects. In fact, there might be generic modules available specifically for this purpose. I recall looking into it for a VW Vanagon that the customer intentionally had the wrong tire size and wanted an accurate speedo. Can't rightly remember if it was a cable speedo, but I recall saying it needed some electronics.
The donor vehicle,1989 Blazer,had the speed sensor built into the speedo head,driven by an old-school speedo cable.
The only aftermarket part I bought was a JTR in-line speed sensor.
I tried feeding a magnetic pulse into the speed sensor wires on the Ford ECM,NADA..
I think this car got its speed signasl from the ABS system.Unfortunately,the ABS pump was "misplaced" . Here is a link to a video,the 1st 3 minutes is just still shots and music,the rest is a ctual video of the car running and driving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80xJiyIx1bY
Old 09-17-2020, 09:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I can see the dedication in your build , two years is a lot of skipped lunches , and yeah I can totally understand needing to run the two ECMs . I can't see the GM ECM driving all of the body stuff anymore than the Ford ECM would want to run the GM engine .

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/index.php
I left the Ford ECM in place to control the A/C system-fans.The fuel gauge and temp gauge also are run by the ford ECM. I put the Ford temp sensor in the Chevy motor,I also welded a Ford crank sensor ring onto the lower pulley.The Ford ECM "thinks" that there is a Ford 4.6 running..The old GM ECM is so primitive that it does not even have an intake air temp sensor..
One slight design flaw on my part,in addition to lengthening the chassis,I moved the engine and transmission 11 inches forward.The only problem is now there is just a few inches space between the edge of the oil pan and the front differential.Ooops...I bought another oil pan and notched it out,I just have to install before I do any off-roading..
Old 09-17-2020, 11:15 PM
The Resident Brony

Grimer, the Chevy transmission, where the speedo cable comes out, that gear thing that turns the cable was superceded on later models with a speed sensor that will fit in the same spot. Something like this. But again, you may have to make a gateway module.

IIRC, the Lincoln would calculate the wheel speed from the transmission output speed sensor - I don't think it had an actual speedo sensor, not sure. I'd have to look it up. Also, it may want a digital pulse or a sine wave, idk.

1998 is a bit early for a car to read the wheel speed from the ABS. Possible, but it'd be very early for it.

Last edited by MadMan; 09-17-2020 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Grimer, the Chevy transmission, where the speedo cable comes out, that gear thing that turns the cable was superceded on later models with a speed sensor that will fit in the same spot. Something like this. But again, you may have to make a gateway module.

IIRC, the Lincoln would calculate the wheel speed from the transmission output speed sensor - I don't think it had an actual speedo sensor, not sure. I'd have to look it up. Also, it may want a digital pulse or a sine wave, idk.

1998 is a bit early for a car to read the wheel speed from the ABS. Possible, but it'd be very early for it.
Indeed, I have a aftermarket screw in speed sensor,the GM ECM reads speed no problem at all. So I do have a speed signal to work with.I just have to figure out what
type of signal the Ford ECM wants to see ( gateway module like you mentioned),and where to send that signal. I temporarily clamped the original Ford output shaft sensor right in front of the water pump pulley,
I was hoping the 4 bolts would simulate the 4 tabs on the Ford output shaft sensor ring. I get ac voltage/sine wave,but no reading on the speedo or the OBD2 scanner,that is when I thought the ABS system
might have something to with the speedo? I still have some mechanical stuff to do( My home-made driveshaft is a bit out of balance) I'm happy the A/C and heat work so well...lol
Thanks for the input MadMan

Last edited by grimer; 09-18-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:56 AM
The Resident Brony

So I looked into it at work today, you are correct, it uses the ABS to derive a speed signal. Unfortunately, the speedo does NOT have a speed input, it reads the data lines for the speed data.

Well, get an abs pump and and make the Lincoln abs work with the Blazer wheels, that should do the trick. Alternatively, though it'd be much more difficult, you could rig an Arduino or Pi to read the data lines and inject a speed data into them. I am/was looking into doing that for my LeBaron, to get the digital dash cluster to work.
Audiokarma
Old 10-25-2020, 04:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes indeed, I searched my garage and found the factory Lincoln service manual,
the abs module feeds the "virtual image cluster"
A bit of possible good news for me,a customer of the shop I work for will most likely be scrapping his beat to death 99 Lincoln Continental.The car runs and drives,but has substantial body damage.We agreed on "scrap value".
Well worth the $$350 for an entire parts car