Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree mostly with what you said but keep in mind the Pinto was built from 1971-1980 and k-cars went into production from 1981-1995.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Currently driving a 79 pinto daily with the 2.3 and a shield on the front of the gas tank to protect it from the differential

SR
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Sometimes, I REALLY think the car companies SHOULD have been allowed to go under..
If they had not gotten bailed out they would probably still be around anyway. The politicians all were crying bloody murder that Detroit would go bankrupt...In such a way to make the populace think that bankruptcy would end the auto makers. Which is rubbish. Bankruptcy is not necessarily fatal to a company, and many companies(and other entities) that have gone bankrupt, have recovered and are still in business. In fact Detroit the city just declared bankruptcy in the last few weeks, and I don't think anyone expects them to disappear, but whether they will ever get their act together long enough to get back out remains to be seen...

What would help American cars aside from ending some dumb policies and regulations, is for some smart folks here to start a new auto manufacturer to make affordable cars that are worlds ahead of what is on the market.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Not sure how I got here.

The us auto manufacturers have tried for decades to go under, just take a look at some of the interviews the press had with Rick Wagner before the Gov. booted his dumb ass during the bankruptcy of GM. Its as if that guy just left home each day and went golfing. I don't think he had a clue about how to run GM, Same with Bill Ford, they deserve to be living under a bridge in Detroit.

The marketplace would have taken over, some Blackstone would have taken them over like Chrysler. And then again there would still be making crap. Obama did well kicking out Wagner, Ford did well getting Malally, He has a brain.

The whole thing was a testimony to the fact that MBA's don't know how to run a company. A testimony to the government saving large companies from the most corrupt aspects of predatory capitalism. The war machines industry is bailed out repeatedly, annually, as they constantly deliver barely functional over priced crap, that we are forced to pay for, and then store in the desert until people forget about them, and then they are diapered, and new crap added to our endless debt. -- This is an industry we can do without....

The market would have replaced GM, Ford and Chrysler with something better, look at Tesla, a startup that will produce what may be the next generation in transportation. And I say transportation because they are working on a new rail system, who knows if this guy has the smarts to take us into the next generation of travel.... The airlines surely don't have the smarts for it, the crappy three sure don't, and our government can't tie its shoes without shutting down for a week fighting about what kind of knot to use....
Old 12-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
The us auto manufacturers have tried for decades to go under, just take a look at some of the interviews the press had with Rick Wagner before the Gov. booted his dumb ass during the bankruptcy of GM. Its as if that guy just left home each day and went golfing. I don't think he had a clue about how to run GM, Same with Bill Ford, they deserve to be living under a bridge in Detroit.

The marketplace would have taken over, some Blackstone would have taken them over like Chrysler. And then again there would still be making crap. Obama did well kicking out Wagner, Ford did well getting Malally, He has a brain.

The whole thing was a testimony to the fact that MBA's don't know how to run a company. A testimony to the government saving large companies from the most corrupt aspects of predatory capitalism. The war machines industry is bailed out repeatedly, annually, as they constantly deliver barely functional over priced crap, that we are forced to pay for, and then store in the desert until people forget about them, and then they are diapered, and new crap added to our endless debt. -- This is an industry we can do without....

The market would have replaced GM, Ford and Chrysler with something better, look at Tesla, a startup that will produce what may be the next generation in transportation. And I say transportation because they are working on a new rail system, who knows if this guy has the smarts to take us into the next generation of travel.... The airlines surely don't have the smarts for it, the crappy three sure don't, and our government can't tie its shoes without shutting down for a week fighting about what kind of knot to use....
Exactly. I have a 1973 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham that my granddad bought new in spring '73. The TOTL model from the TOTL division of GM... And its a POS. Runs DREADFULLY, has ever since it was new. Part of that is the primitive smog control stuff they had back then. But the fit & finish on the whole car is laughable- the whole car feels like its "Loose", like every nut & bolt needs another turn or 2.Door seams are like an 1/8 to a 1/4", & yet they STILL manage to "Rub" in places.. The paint, a metallic silver-grey, felt like suede even when it was new. And of course, Generous Motors, looking for ways to cut costs, even on their $10K Flagship of the Fleet, saved a dollar or 2 by NOT painting under the vinyl top..It started feeling "Sponguey" right around the bottom of the back window around 1977... Even though its an IMMENSE car, usable room inside is at a minimum, due to the "Tubular" nature of the body. The seats are so soft that if you get 3 people sitting abreast, they end up in each others' laps. the interior trim looks like it was designed & installed on a "Close Enuff For Gov't Work" standard. I could go on, but I think you get the message. Yet as awful as it is, its a nice car to have around & show how far we have come in the design & build of cars..
Old 12-12-2013, 08:31 AM
sampson159

dont know if i posted but i currently drive a 1995 cadillac hearse.350 chevy engine and a federal conversion.top of the line with 55k on the odometer.gray,black vinyl top,red leather interior.it has a marble floor in the back.gas mileage is around 21 mpg in town and 27-28 highway.i got it very cheap and its a smooth ride!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
And of course, Generous Motors, looking for ways to cut costs, even on their $10K Flagship of the Fleet, saved a dollar or 2 by NOT painting under the vinyl top..It started feeling "Sponguey" right around the bottom of the back window around 1977... Even though its an IMMENSE car, usable room inside is at a minimum, due to the "Tubular" nature of the body...
Ha Ha Ha ! ! ! This is sooo funny..... Both my '72 and '73 mustangs had vinyl roofs, and guess what..... no paint under the roof..... no paint inside the car on the roof.... as a matter of fact, if you couldn't see it, there was no paint on it.... I can attest to that as I tried for over a decade to stop the rust on those rustangs..... Visibility, and usable room sucked too, as my '89 Prelude had great visibility, and tons more room....
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Ha Ha Ha ! ! ! This is sooo funny..... Both my '72 and '73 mustangs had vinyl roofs, and guess what..... no paint under the roof..... no paint inside the car on the roof.... as a matter of fact, if you couldn't see it, there was no paint on it.... I can attest to that as I tried for over a decade to stop the rust on those rustangs..... Visibility, and usable room sucked too, as my '89 Prelude had great visibility, and tons more room....
I noticed how the design of those Mustangs hampered visibility; little doubt that it contributed to the unplanned accident in the original Gone in 60 Seconds.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-29-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Not sure how I got here.

I don't know about the movie wreck, there was a good one on the starsky & hutch remake when they tried spinning the car around like rockford and hit the front fender on a bunch a parked cars.... Anyway, the mach 1's in that photo were even worse visibility than the coup'e which I had. Brother had a mach 1 and that back window looked only about 2" tall..... didn't even fill the visible area of the inside rear view mirror..... But they were the coolest looking of all the mustangs IMAO, and very very fun to drive, great first cars ! I still wouldn't have had any other first car.... One day I'm gunna find a picture and post it..... I painted mine fresh plum metalic, a gremlin color, with what some called a gay cuda stripe down the side..... Brother had a red and black '71 mach 1 which we repainted to yellow and black. Both our cars had red door jams....
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Currently restoring a 69 mach 1... Yeah, that rear window is something else to look out of...

SR
Audiokarma
Old 12-12-2013, 10:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I was about 12 my father built a 69 Mach 1 clone, a good looking car. I remember hoping he would hold onto it until I was 16 but instead he sold it to my older cousin-she pretty much destroyed it. That body remains my favorite Mustang by far. I'm a big fan of fastbacks.

Detroit became immensely inefficient, including when it came to interiors. There are oodles of huge cars from the 60s-70s with almost no rear legroom, yet my plain Jane 51 Ford (a "cheap" car, and not really a large one) looks like a limo in back by comparison. I guess you can trace it all back to the mid/late-50s when style started overtaking substance in a big way. I won't blame it all on the automakers, since America bought what they cranked out in record numbers each year...yet hardly anyone bought Checker Marathons!

Tonight I had a meeting to go to so I took the Ford. I really love that car, and especially love driving it. Coming home, the flathead 6 chugging along, the Bendix playing AM 740 (just in time for the 80s at 8), the Magic Air keeping my feet warm (18 degrees when I got home), go ahead and laugh at my 6 cylinder and 6 volt electric, it works for me!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Marketwatch has a few mustang prototypes that never made production, and another slide show of what they are calling the best over 50 years.....

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-l...re-2013-12-13#

------------

A friend in high school had a '53 ford 4 door with a 6, and tree mounted manual shift, tube radio in dash, it would come on after we drove about a 1/2 mile... Very nice roomy car..... And yes that car was used to sneak 4 or 5 people into the drive in all those years ago.... I think I could park the Prelude in that car's trunk....

-----------

My dad had a '65 or '66 Corvair Monza which only lasted about a year, many oil leaks, and the 4 single barrel carbs would flood and generally the whole car was not reliable for daily use, so he got rid of it, $200. back in '71.... any takers....? I always thought I would get that car as my first, but it didn't stay long.... Mom hated it because you could smell the exhaust inside... she was a party pooper for that car.... I think it was our only stick shift car, that's why I thought it was cool.....

-------

We got a station that does 80's at noon.... ! Love it ! ! !
Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The Cad, w/its "Tubular" shaped body, actually "Squashed tubular" would be more correct- is incredibly wasteful of space. F'r instance, the "Tumblehome"-side curvature- is so much, that it is difficult to sit in the drivers' position, & rest yr arm on the door at the window...Its WAY the hell over there, somewhere. The windshield has so much "rake", there must be 2-3" of wasted space from the edge of the dashboard to the base of the windshield.. You could about land a Piper Cub there. The Brougham, w/its 3" longer wheelbase, DOES have a little more legroom in the back seat than its low-rent Sedan DeVille brothers- But it should have a LOT more. You CAN, however, set the reclining/6-way power front seat gizmo to drive it like Superfly-Seat back almost at horizontal, steering wheel almost vertical, seat height almost mashing yr head against the ceiling-Even if you're only 4'11". Actually, this thing is PURE Seventies- It REALLY works well only if you get it out on the Interstate, set the cruise control on 70, the A/C the same place, put on a Seventies radio station, drape yr hand over the wheel, sit back & let the Big Dawg eat up the miles- All the while delivering an IMPRESSIVE 9 MPG.. Arab Sheiks must have been in mourning when the downsized Caddys appeared in '77, & actually almost doubled the mileage of their predecessors..
Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Sandy, back then a barrel of oil was what $14. so, those caddy's weren't shining OPEC's bank accounts...... but at $100./bl. those 12mpg giant pickups they makin' today.... well, there's some shine over there today!

There was a kinda neat look to those Tubular cars.... I didn't realize just how far those tires stuck out from under the pinto's.... Same for most 70's cars too, I bet that design made for lots of the rust in those quarter panels....
Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Anyway, the mach 1's in that photo were even worse visibility than the coup'e which I had. Brother had a mach 1 and that back window looked only about 2" tall..... didn't even fill the visible area of the inside rear view mirror..... But they were the coolest looking of all the mustangs IMAO, and very very fun to drive, great first cars !
Agreed on the Mach 1's appearance. Somehow the Grande just doesn't look right to me.
Audiokarma