Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

HD CRT set disposal

Here's a different perspective on HD CRT units:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/ind...e-tv-d.763710/

Notice that fishtank conversion wasn't even suggested.

Chip
Old 03-27-2017, 02:33 PM
TheUniversalDave1

One dude brutally murdered a 23" Sylvania console.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
One dude brutally murdered a 23" Sylvania console.
Saw that too. I wish he would be more specific about what it was. Hope it wasn't tube-type.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
If there were forums in the 1970's there would be a bunch of guys saying the exact same thing about all that pesky tube gear they had sitting a corner since the cool Solid State stuff was delivered.
For sure. Even round-screen RCAs were considered trash at one time.
Quote:
I liked my way better. Recently hauled a 23" Sylvania console out of the basement. I gutted it first, removing the tube and chassis to make it easier to get up the steps. Crunched the cabinet with my handy dandy sledge hammer and removed the tube from the chassis. Last step was to drop the tube into my trash container after wrapping it in a couple hefty bags, then toss the sledge hammer in the top.

Kablooie! Wahoo! No more tube!
My way of disarming worn out CRTs isn't nearly as dangerous or noisy. I put it out on the deck, leave the door open just enough to get my arm through and take a swing at the neck with my 18"-long Klein-Vaco 1/4" nut driver. I position the CRT so it is completely shielded by the door. The last one was a tough one, took several strikes. When it finally went, the gun assembly busted in half as well. I've never had one implode; there's just a big WHOOSH and that's it.

What can I say, I got more daring as time went by. When I first started in this I wouldn't even open a junk set.

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-28-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Insignia set here about the same size mentioned I found at the curb last year and it works great after I fixed a sticky on-off switch. The trendies are known to dump all the older stuff and move on to whats current.Nevermind the MSM pollutes peoples minds on saying digital is better then whats old.They also fuss about the lead in the CRTs.

It would be nice to see a console with the same size CRT in it.Probably need a forklift to move it around.

On airing a tube .I just break off the tip on the neck with a hammer.I'm not in the mood to pick up glass off the floor.I have not dump any CRT since they are getting scarce .

Last edited by centralradio; 03-28-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
On airing a tube .I just break off the tip on the neck with a hammer.I'm not in the mood to pick up glass off the floor.I have not dump any CRT since they are getting scarce .
+1 - the RCA method - RCA used pliers to snap off the tip. They taught that disposal method at all TV training seminars. It provided slower intake of air (hiss for 3-10 seconds....) and a stress relief on the bell. No implosion, no glass everywhere.....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

For me.... it's "find the nearest dumpster and fling"
I pitched a 20" Sony with built in VCR (now I wish I had kept, but it had intermittent audio issues)
Anyway.. in 35 years of disposing of TV's, I've never heard a tube go off like that one did. It sounded like a bomb, and blew the dumpster lids up....
Old 03-28-2017, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

It should be said that responsible recycling is the correct method of disposal for CRTs, rather than putting everything straight into a landfill without attention to what's in it. And that's what happens to the random dumpster stuff...

In this town, that costs about $5 or $10, payable to the recycler. If you bring in other stuff of recycling value at the same time (which you know you have back under the bench somewhere) it'll even out on a trip to trip basis.

Chip
Old 03-28-2017, 08:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

One thing he doesn't mention is whether or not the set was working.

The description of the set reminds me of my Panasonic CT-34WX54J. I bought it at a flea market a little more than a year ago (on Superb Owl Sunday). The seller and I were able to carry it to the car, and I was somehow able to push it into the breezeway, but I was completely unable to get the 160-pound behemoth up four stairsteps into the house itself, so it sat there since, blocking my view of my Emerson 1224 and the back of my Zenith 5317. I could still watch the Panasonic, though with an awkward looking half way down perspective and in a breezeway that is often cold.

Well, recently, two of my nephews happened to be over, and I made a deal to pay them to carry the set to my bedroom.

I really like this set now that it is a daily watcher. The picture is impressive, and I'm satisfied with it despite its foibles (no sound with HDMI, so I use Component; the left speaker seems to have only its tweeter working, and the focus is imperfect at the corners - suggestions on how to fix or adjust out any of these are most welcome).

Definitely worth the $60 I paid for it and the $10 to the nephews. The set was supposedly worth $900 when new. There were relatively few years between the first HDTV sets hitting the market and the last wide CRT HD sets being discontinued as the prices of LCD and plasma sets plummeted (forcing 16:9 CRTs out of the marketplace).

Kinda sad that people seem to be more impressed with the style of a TV than the performance of the TV.

Last edited by Robert Grant; 03-28-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I have a Samsung HD CRT set at the house and i wish i had another. Heavy monster, but love the HDMI inputs..

SR
Audiokarma
Old 03-29-2017, 08:13 AM
Motorola Minion

Our Toshiba 30HF84 weighs a bit over 100. The HDMI quit working but the component input makes up for that. I have it on a high cabinet and with kids, I ran a steel cable from a loop though the chassis, out the back and to the radiator down and behind it.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:09 AM
Old TVs are better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
For me.... it's "find the nearest dumpster and fling"

I pitched a 20" Sony with built in VCR (now I wish I had kept, but it had intermittent audio issues)

Anyway.. in 35 years of disposing of TV's, I've never heard a tube go off like that one did. It sounded like a bomb, and blew the dumpster lids up....

Just let me pinch the nipple off the tube under the socket before you fling. I'd hate to see someone throw something else heavy in the dumpster and get a face full of glass as it implodes. . It only takes a couple minutes to release the vacuum safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quickly stand back and dont get the phosphor/aquadag get on you.Wear safety glasses because glass will still fly as it hits the sides of the dumpster or what ever else in there .Also grab the yoke before the copper thieves do before you.