Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Post S video to special composite video mixer circuit for your vintage color TV

As analog over-the-air NTSC is scheduled to go away in a year or two, you'll end up using some sort of cable, sat, or ATSC tuner box to get 525i signals to feed to a TV modulator to feed your vintage color TV sets. But you might as well do a little signal processing on the digital to analog video signal to make it look better on vintage color TV sets, which all use "notch filter" chroma-luma separation circuits inside. A notch filter assumes that all frequencies in the demodulated video signal above about 3 MHz belong to the chroma subcarrier. Not always correct, as you sometimes see crawling rainbow color patterns crawling up the refree's shirt in a football game. But if you have a source of "S video", with separate luma and chroma from a set to box or DVD player, you can pre-filter the luma to get rid of the high frequency luma that causes such rainbow crawlies in the vintage color TV set. Your vintage TV set's picture will look much better with the use of this pre-filter.

I've done a pre-filter before, but the "group delay" characteristics of that wasn't that good. One wants all frequencies of a video signal to have equal time delays thru a filter or other circuit, and if the delays get too unequal, you can see mismatches of the luma and the chroma on the CRT screen. This new circuit has minimal group delay mismatches, so the colors will line up on the luma right.

This circuit doesn't have any critical LC circuits that require any tune up or alighment. And it just uses common Ls and Cs you could salvage from dead VCRs and such. The coils I used look like little gumdrops. These have the resistor style color codes, which indicate the number of uH's like resistors indicate number of ohms.

This circuit assumes that the S video source impedances are 75 ohms (virtually all are) and that the TV modulator you will feed has a 75 ohm load resistance.
Attached Images
File Type: gif lumachromatoncomposite.gif (4.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg lumachroma2ncomposite.jpg (58.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 05-01-2007, 04:38 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise
This circuit doesn't have any critical LC circuits that require any tune up or alignment. And it just uses common Ls and Cs you could salvage from dead VCRs and such.
Appreciate your sharing the circuit; I expect it will work well with the composite interface I recently added to my CT-100.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Is the composite interface you added the one in the June, 1956, RCA Broadcast News? It looks like it is well designed. How does it look when you play DVDs through it?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenham
Is the composite interface you added the one in the June, 1956, RCA Broadcast News? It looks like it is well designed. How does it look when you play DVDs through it?
Oh, no, haven't seen that one. DVDs look pretty good, though not as sharp as that you'd see on a modern comb filter TV set. But vintage TVs won't be as that sharp anyway, but you'll get a lot less cross-chroma crawling rainbow patterns, which definately will look better.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenham
Is the composite interface you added the one in the June, 1956, RCA Broadcast News?
I know of two RCA circuits from that era. One used three 6BQ7's and the other a single 12AT7, which I built. It will be used this weekend at the ETF convention to demonstrate precisely what true NTSC color TV looked like in 1958 when the first color videotape program was broadcast.
Audiokarma