Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

got the tag today, just took it for a spin, what fun!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIhzko-v8k
Old 10-10-2015, 03:35 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Oh cool ! 80's window louvers ! Was the A/C converted or is it still R-12 ? If it's 12,
you can get 12 off ebay if there is a shop that will put it in for you.... Actually with the
pump, and gauges you're already 90% there... It would be worth changing the O rings
first, and loading it up with dry nitrogen and doing a good leak test on it, as 12 is
pretty expensive..... Nice color ! Love the night stealthy video..... In the next video I
think ya autta hot wire it and take it out for a ride ! !

Old 10-10-2015, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

its Still R-12 and the vac I pulled on it has lasted well over 24hrs with NO movement so I am pretty sure its going to be leak free.

I have taken it out a few times since I got the tag on it. What a blast!! Just like I remember from back in the 70's
Old 10-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Rolling Along

Anything made before about 1992 will have had R-12 originally. The 280Z had a different body than the original 240Z. They shared many elements but to meet the 1975 collision standards the front end needed to be beefed up and 5mph bumpers added. If I recall, the change actually happend mid year in the 1974 260Z.

The inline 6 L-28 engine in the 280Z is one of the strongest built engines ever put in a passenger car. It came stock with a forged crank with 7 main bearings, forged rods, forged pistons and a full skirt block. There are tons and tons of hot rod parts available for them.

The 240/280Z owned SCCA racing from 1970 to 1979 winning the C production championship 10 consecutive years. They won many many other championships.

In the late 1970s I had an opportunity to work on a project with John Knepp of Electromotive. They built the Z cars Don Devendorf campaigned in C production. At that time John claimed to squeeze over 700 HP out of a 280Z engine using the stock block, stock crank, stock rods and stock rockers. It's likely he got more than that but didn't want to tip his hand.

It's a great car with a nearly bulletproof motor if you just keep oil and coolant in it. Anyone that swaps it out for a small block Chevy is a fool.

- Pete
Audiokarma
Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Good info Pete, indeed I have heard many folks say the engine is bullet proof.
I have not been able to drive it for a while as I was having fuel delivery issues. turns out the red kote lining was failing sending junk into the fuel pump. I just got the tank back from a renu tank guy that sand blast out all the old junk and relines. If that does not work I will see about getting a alum tank made up. Tanks seem to be the issue on many of these. the 75's had a full size tire and the tank is somewhat rare for that reason.

I agree with the swap for a v8, I don't really get that. I recall E type Jags got the same treatment (eng swap) but in that case it may have been the orig jag engine was too expensive to maintain?

I can tell you this, working on cars is turning into the new hobby for me, I have not even looked at an old TV in weeks.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Rolling Along

The 280 is a good project car. Parts are available, there are lots of high performance and aftermarket goodies and a huge community of Datsun nuts for support.

- Pete
Old 10-28-2015, 06:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

One of the mods I am looking to make, down the line is to put in a 5sp from a 77/78 model. The 5th gear is a overdrive ratio to make highway cruse a bit more relaxing.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8caVXWkNLM

cruzin
Old 12-31-2015, 01:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice find. Yiu do not want to put r134a in that car. It wil not cool well especially in florida. I have R12 freon and tools and equipment. I am not that far from you and I can help you out if you need help.
Audiokarma
Old 12-31-2015, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did pull a vac and recharge it with R-12, lets see how long it keeps working.
I did buy a new compressor/drier/hoses just in case the comp goes. If that happens I will take you up on it, I only have a little AC exp would be glad for any help. The current problem is a completely plug vapor hard line form the vapor separator to the canister. Its steel and I have zero exp making up hard lines. I am thinking about just cutting the old on out then routing some of the nylon stuff thru the rubber guides, zipping it to the existing fuel lines to help route it. OR maybe trying some of that copper/nickel alloy tubing that is supposed to be easy to bend. I did get the fuel lines working (supply and return both 3/8 or 10mm iirc) with some evapo rust/pb blaster and compressed air, but I suspect they are a little be restricted too. So someday I will do them all. I would like to get one of those two post lifts but my garage ceiling is too low, I plan to have a shop when I retire, will do that up right then. I kinda look at this car as my retirement project.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:59 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

There were a BUNCH of those cars around here back when they were new-5-10 yrs old. Then, they just disappeared. I think tinworm disease got a lot of 'em. "Performance" cars like that tend to live rather HARD lives around here. The 1st owner generally takes care of it, the 2nd owner usually will, too, but by the time the car gets to the 3rd-4th owner, he is generally a young kid who flails the H3!! outta the car, & the car is getting some age on it, too. You see this ALL the time, w/almost any/every type of car.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

and if it manages to survive or gets lucky and misses the kid, it gets to an owner like me, not going to flog it, stays in garage and does not come out when it rains. I have not seen one on the road in YEARS, I do see the ZX's from the 80's but not the S30's
Old 12-31-2015, 09:54 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I was the same way, Dave, I always looked out after my stuff pretty well. Still have almost every car I ever owned.