Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Denver craigslist

Kind of an unusual built in TV, We do not see may early tv's in Colorado.

http://denver.craigslist.org/atq/5567429189.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01717_9m1X6qmCpS6_600x450.jpg (29.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 01414_ddTn4BDKHGo_600x450.jpg (21.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 00303_5g13NSplzvf_600x450.jpg (39.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 05-07-2016, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, I have never seen such an early built-in. Amazing that it was not remodeled out of existence during all of these decades.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 05-07-2016, 12:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Emerson 571/606...look at all of those 25Z6 rectifiers! Is the fireplace fake?

jr
Old 05-07-2016, 01:30 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Emerson 571/606...look at all of those 25Z6 rectifiers! Is the fireplace fake?

jr
I would think it is in fact fake. Since the television is mounted directly above the fireplace, the intense heat, not to mention smoke and soot, would damage the set in a very short time. I know someone who has her TV (a 32" flat screen) next to her fireplace in her living room; however, the set is not built into the wall, but is on a TV stand, positioned far enough away from the fireplace not to be in any danger of being damaged.

However, as I said, a built-in set, with the TV directly above the fireplace, such as the one being discussed here, could be severely damaged the first time said fireplace was used. The only exception would be if the fireplace is a modern one that uses multicolored bulbs or LCD panels to create simulated flames; I think that may well be the scheme used with this one. The TV, of course, cannot be harmed unless one or more of the bulbs (no danger, of course, if an LCD panel creates the image) are physically close to the bottom of the set's cabinet, which I seriously doubt since the bulbs would almost certainly be located in what would be the fire pit of a wood-burning fireplace, well away from the TV itself.

The 25Z6 rectifier tubes' filaments could be wired in a series-string arrangement, so as to operate directly from the AC line without the need for large dropping resistors; 25x4=100, with the resistor(s) being used to take up the slack. When this set was new, most areas had 117-volt AC line voltage. Today, many areas have line voltage measuring somewhat more than 120, which would of course require even larger or more dropping resistors in the TV to prevent damage to the tubes. However, why this TV uses four of these tubes is beyond me; most '50s-'60s TVs that did not have selenium rectifiers were designed with one or, at most, two low-voltage rectifier tubes. The CRT is not that large (I would guess it is no more than perhaps nineteen inches), so the power supply does not need to be a big 400-watt bruiser unless the set was originally part of a 3-way entertainment center, which I doubt. The only other thing I can come up with is one or two of those tubes are used in the HV power supply, although one would ordinarily expect to find one or, at most, two 1X2s or 1B3s in this position.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-07-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:56 PM
Workin' Late Again

I think the fireplace was intended to vent the heat generated by the TV.
Audiokarma
Old 05-07-2016, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep...enlarged the picture... fireplace is obviously fake.
The set uses five 25Z6 rectifiers, with their heaters in series across the line, and a filament transformer for the rest of the tubes. Two of the 25Z6s are used for a LV supply (negative) and three are used for a positive LV supply. HV supply uses a 1B3.
Jug is a 10BP4 10 inch.

jr
Old 05-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Level 1

I've seen this before. A while back I had a school project where I had to observe the architecture and style of houses around here. Rather than drive around and look in person, I just went through an looked at listings on Zillow. I remember seeing this weird fireplace tv in a picture in one of the for-sale listings. I'm pretty sure the house is in Cory-Merrill, near Colorado Blvd and I-25, but can't remember for sure. I would guess the house sold and whoever bought it is remodeling.

Last edited by matt99; 05-07-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

The same mistake people do with flat screen TV's these days - put them up higher than normal sitting eye-level. That and with the screen being small must have got annoying quickly.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sorta interesting that a 1948 TV is built into the wall of house in a city that did not have a TV station until mid 1952.

jr