Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 AM
On Land

French Provincial CTC12

Currently, I am in Port Angeles, WA... awaiting my turn to go home from the boat. Was supposed to go home a couple of days ago, but they couldn't pull it off. That's okay... it just makes my vacation time longer. This vacation should end up being about 3 months long! That will give me plenty of time to play with a new toy... a CTC12.

A lady in Dallas contacted me last week with photos of this roundie... asking if I was interested. Without asking a price, I told her I'd take it. It was too clean looking to pass up. Also, it looks like the CRT has likely been replaced because the face does not have the typical green tint from the FJP safety glass. Not exactly my favorite cabinet style. If this was 1963, I would have never bought this set. I don't find it attractive. However, being different is what makes it interesting. When I finally asked how much money should I bring, she said a hundred bucks. Cool!

Since I'm stuck on the boat till at least the 20th, I called my brother in Dallas and asked him to go get it. I spoke to him yesterday and he said he had it sitting in his garage... along with the paperwork and remote. Paperwork and remote??? He said it was all in a plastic bag... along with a plastic banner.

I asked him to snap some photos and send... and unfortunately, it turned out to be a remote for a newer set... a colortrack 2000. Oh well... no biggie. However, it still has nice paperwork to go with it... the manual, a schematic, the Mark 8 tag, and a plastic banner that I assume was on the face of the tube when it came out of the store all those years ago.

The set looks so clean... I'm willin to bet the damn thing works. I'll have to wait till I get home... I don't want my brother trying to plug it in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AddysCamera_1504.jpg (107.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg CTC12Paper1.jpg (51.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg CTC12paper3.jpg (75.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg CTC12paper4.jpg (85.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg CTC12paper2.jpg (73.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg CTC12Schm.jpg (52.0 KB, 95 views)

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 AM
"Book em Dano!"

WOW, thats very cool! You hardly ever get any paperwork with old equipment. None of my sets have anything except for my '59 CTC-9 but just the hang-tag. looks to be well cared for. RCA's always seem to be the easiest to get going. Maybe I just understand them better.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Motorola Minion

Great catch Charlie! Bergerac, a wine, noted novelist and small town in France.
I bet this set was tuned to one of the Dallas channels (4,5 or 8) when JFK was shot.

I have the same model with UHF and an original (weak) CRT.
Looks like all the sales literature is there also. If only I could find THAT with such a set.
Must be a great example of how the bourgeois liked their furniture.

Looking forward to the next updates.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Mark

WOW, great score! Personally I'm not a fan of most french provincial cabinets either but I think this one is really pretty. Those manuals and tags look like new!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Workin' Late Again

Cool find! Not my favorite cabinet either, but who can complain when it has a big roundie in it.
Audiokarma
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Wow, your brother has a carpeted garage!? Classy, like the TV!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Nice set!
I remember going on a service call way back in 79-80 to a little old lady's house, I remembered it because she had a white French Provincial set similar if not exactly like that.
It impressed me at the time because it was so different from all the usual Walnut/Maple sets popular back then.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:40 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
Wow, your brother has a carpeted garage!? Classy, like the TV!
Na... no carpet in the garage. The photo of the TV is the one the lady first sent me. The photos of the paperwork were taken by my brother.

I will like looking through the owner's manual. I haven't had one for a roundie yet... looks like some cool reading.

This will be my first CTC12 to play with. Is the 12 pretty close to a 15? Any major differences?

Now I need a roundie in a Chinese cabinet. That would be really cool. We've seen a few come thru here before. Seems I remember Doug has one by Zenith.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I would love ANY "chinese" themed set....especially if it was a cabinet.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

IIRC the only real diff is the 12 uses a tube focus rectifier and I think octal based sweep tubes. Maybe a different video out as well. the one thing for sure is it does NOT have the blanker tube bias connection to the horz out tube grid. the 15 and forward had this as a protection from a shunt tube failure. If the HV rose too high the rectified pulse from the fly at the grid of the blanker is tapped with a voltage divider and fed back the the horz out grid. as the HV skyrockets with no shut tube load, the increase neg a the blanker bias off the horz out tube.

Something to look for if you ever have low HV and higher than normal neg readings at the horz out control grid. this presents as poor HV regulation and maybe poor width. there is a voltage divider resistor that connects to the ground thru a thin PC trace along the edge of the chroma board that is right next to the horz out tube. If that trace crack and opens (high heat from the HOT and flexing of the board to replace the 6GU7 blanker tube) the the voltage divider is upset and you will get a large fixed neg bias at the horz out tube grid that is NOT a result of the horz osc drive.
Audiokarma
Old 09-06-2012, 10:42 PM
On Land

Ah-ha... thanks Dave. At least I don't have to worry about expensive 6JE6 tubes.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Very nice find. I'm amazed that the set still has all of the paperwork. I never get any paperwork with mine

I think the cabinet is cool. Totally early '60s. Probably wouldn't really go with my Sante Fe style house, but I'd find room for it anyway.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 AM
60s Throwback

That is a beautiful set, in great condition. It looks like the RCA cousin to my Maggie combo.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

12's will eat flybacks as all the later typical flat mounted chassis's like to do. Hopefully yours is in good shape.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

lowering the input voltage, adj the eff coil and keeping the HV in spec will go a long way to keeping the flyback happy. Of course making sure the HOT grid cap is not leaky and the HOT itself is not gassy helps too. I think if some more proactive service is taken the Flys will last a lot longer.
Audiokarma