Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:10 PM
On Land

Anyone find a roundie in a barn lately?

Earlier today, I was in Dallas picking up my 2nd CRT that was being rebuilt at Video Display. Phil at VDC was telling me of a recent phone call he got from a younger fella... either from Ohio or Illinois... couldn't remember exactly. Phil thought it was a joke at first, but finally decided it wasn't. The guy on the phone said he was out riding his bicycle, and came across an old barn. Curiosity got to him and he went looking to see what was in it. He said there was an old color roundie RCA set in there, and somehow got the set home. I guess he thought it needed a new CRT, so somehow he found out about VDC in Dallas and called to ask Phil if they could rebuild it for him once he gets ready to restore it.

Phil and I both figure this person found out about VDC in Dallas rebuilding these tubes on Audio Karma. This person knew to ask for Phil. Since they don't "advertise" rebuilding roundies, it seems logical they found out on AK.

I assume it was probably a "guest" surfing thru our site. Seems that one of our regular members would have made a thread talking about finding a set in a barn! Would have been a good story.

BTW... if any of you were interested in having a FBP or FJP rebuilt, Phil tells me they are feeling more comfortable about shipping them out in the mail. From what I understand, they have some good boxes for these roundies now, and have sent a couple out to people. Before, they were somewhat against shipping these tubes out, but seems now they are looking at it a little differently.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:38 AM
heathkit tv

Jeez, I thought you were going to say that the barn fresh set turned out to be a CT-100!

Anthony
Old 04-21-2004, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Does this guy have shipping boxes for roundie tubes to sell?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Haven't seen one in a barn, but I did get a round set from a junkyard one time...it was sitting by a pile of crushed cars and metal junk. The CRT was still fairly good...I took it out and used it in a set with good cabinet/bad CRT as the junkyard set's cabinet was really battered.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:24 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamakiri
Does this guy have shipping boxes for roundie tubes to sell?
Tim,

I am not sure that these boxes are necessarily actual roundie boxes. This is how Phil has decided to pack and ship them. The tube is carefully packed in a box, and then the box is strapped to a skid (or small pallet). Using the skid ensures the box doesn't get tossed around by hand. Instead, moving the package must be done with a pallet jack or fork lift. Since the skid is a little bigger around than the box, it also helps keeping other items from being right up against the box with the tube. He has used this method a couple of times now with good luck. IIRC, he has shipped a roundie to California and to Brooklyn this way. I believe he uses either a motor freight shipper or Fed Ex. I think he says the freight charges are between 70 to 100 dollars.

Even though he doesn't really like taking the chance on shipping them, he will with the skid. His concern of course is damage to an item that is hard to find.

Phil's number in Dallas is 800-323-9278 if anyone has any further questions.

Also, some time ago, someone asked if he would rebuild any B&W tubes. I asked yesterday and he said no.

Audiokarma
Old 04-21-2004, 01:30 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally posted by heathkit tv
Jeez, I thought you were going to say that the barn fresh set turned out to be a CT-100!

Anthony
Now that would have been a hell of a story! Kinda like the one we often hear of an old Corvette being found covered up with a tarp in the barn.

The person that found the set obviously learned of VDC Dallas rebuilding roundies here on AK, but I guess it wasnt one of our regular members.