Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:07 PM
VK Member

Need Arvin 522 schematic

I'm in need of an Arvin 522 schematic. Anyone know a free download source? I think it's also an RE 76.

I've had it for years, my grandmother gave it to me after I fixed the old Silvertone. I never did anything with it until today I pulled the chassis (the cord has long been cut) and it probably only needs a recap and resistors, and it will work. Other than a new lexan dial cover (I'll wait to mess with that until it works), a paint job is in order.

Can anyone help?

Jason
Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's on NostagiaAir.org Click on the little eyeball to go to the schematic.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/538/M0012538.htm

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:51 PM
VK Member

Reece,

thank you very much. After tracing the circuit, I don't have a 522!!!

But I figured it out from Nostalgia Air I have a 524, and then searched on the web and found a picture, and mine looks like a 524 (though I found another pic on the web that said it was a 522, so go figure).

Seems like a repairman made a few mods to the radio. Seems like there were a few updates in the Rider's schematics. I might have to chase those down and see if that was what was done.

I definatley found a piece of resistance wire, which I need to figure out the rating, but it's also near the repair (and likes like part of it).

If anyone has experience with the little set, let me know.

Oh, my grandmother tells me it was most likely her dad's, my great grandfather's, however she can't remember. Pretty cool.

Jason
Old 10-24-2010, 07:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool, so you have the R-99 chassis, pretty standard AA5 type radio. As you said, I'll bet it will play with the electrolytics and paper caps replaced. Where is that piece of resistance wire? Is that one of those that looks like a piece of cloth insulated wire?

I noticed on the schematic parts list that all the resistors are 1/4 watt, so you don't need any high wattage ones, unless the original speaker field coil went bad and they replaced it with a PM speaker. Do you have a way to test the tube filaments? If no tester, you could use an ohmmeter.

Good luck on the radio and send us the play-by-play!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM
VK Member

Reece,

The mod was removing the 280C capacitor, replacing C280A with a 30mfd, replacing C280B with a 50 mfd, and connecting the "hot" side of C280A and C280B together with that piece of resistance wire (yes, cloth covered, with star crimped ferrules on each end. The cloth disintigrated upon touching it and left the fine coiled wire sitting there.)

I have no idea why this was done. I am going to put it back to the original schematic. The main reason is I have no idea what the value of that resistor wire was. I can see where one end of the C280C capacitor was cut loose (pin 8 of 50L6). I just need to place the other end on the floating ground.

And I solved the thing driving me nuts, the resistor brown had faded to a faint orange and caused me some problems as the values made no sense, and when I back converted them from the schematic it became obvious!

I do have an emission testor, and since the tubes are all octals, they'll fit. I haven't looked up to see if I have data for those tubes.

I just placed an order for the caps and resistors I did not have tonite.

Now to clean off the workbench and take lots of pics with the digital camera before starting! I wish I had pics of the Silvertone from 15 years ago. It just wasn't as easy back then, now I can have a record of what I do!

Jason
Audiokarma
Old 10-28-2010, 08:53 PM
VK Member

Tested the tubes, 2 of 5 are bad. Of course out of the 500+ tubes I have, I don't have these two:

35Z5
12SA7

Off to the 'bay I go.

Jason