Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

First Post, First Vintage GE 1950 Console

I just bought a GE Model 16K1 Television, Radio, Turntable console for 35 dollars. My loved think I am crazy, maybe but for 35 dollars I will buy them all day long.

I went to buy a piece of sculputure at a used furniture store, talking to the owner he showed me a Grundig 490U console *50 dollars*. My biggest problem was to get them home *I don't own a pickup*.

I traded a coworker that has a pickup a guitar to make the 25 mile trip and we picked them up. We missed the afternoon torrential showers and made it home. I was surprised to see it was from 1950 or 51.

I am a member of AudioKarma, and usually collect vintage stereo equipment, I just could not pass these item up. It would be nice to get the Grundig and GE up and running, if not they are still worth having.

What better icon of my time, the Televison, Radio and Turntable. Just a week earlier I bought a RCA Console with just a Turntable AM radio for 27 dollars.

I tell my daughter (she is16) how lucky she is to have the internet and the wealth of information that it has. I also try to show her the past, without appreciating the past how can you appreciate the "Now".
Old 07-30-2011, 03:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

GE TV chassis

Here is a photo of the TV chasis, please excuse the crooked photos. It was late *I can't see as good as I used to* This is the Grundig, without legs, which I removed so we didn't break them off
Old 07-30-2011, 06:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Those are really nice! I found what looked like an identical GE inside the window of a used furniture store here, around 1953 with the book. Got into a chat with the owner, who after hearing I collect Magnavox consoles, took me into the back in a garage bay and showed me a 1971 Magnavox armoire color stereo theatre. I bought it minutes after I saw it. I've returned to look for other things, but the couple who own the store sort of give off vibes. He did call me one day about an old tv set a friend had, but it was gone when I phoned them. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of both of your sets!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 PM
M is for Memory

I love the cabinet styling of that Grundig!

Sounds like your doing a good job of finding good stuff for good prices.

Welcome to the tube electronics hobby! Please be aware that these sets are highly addictive. The oldtimer that got me started repairing sets always says that the only way to be cured once you get the collecting bug is by being planted in the ground!

Once you replace the electrolytic and paper caps in those sets and make sure all the tubes are good, those sets should start to work again (the Grundig may work without repair).

Welcome to VK!

Tom C.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The only other problem you might run into is that the FM band on the Grundig might stop at 100 or 104 MC, if it was a home-market version brought back by a serviceman. Other than that, they are almost invariably good performers, after a little TLC...
Old 07-30-2011, 02:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE Console

I have collecting various items most of my life, Gun, Guitars, Cars, Knives, Stereo Equipment, Guitar Tube Amps, etc. The GE came with the Owners Manual so did the Grundig.

It always nice to get paper work with the equipment. I also have several Tube Guitar amplifiers. The oldest is a 1951 Danelecto with 2 12" field coil speakers. It worked the last time I used it.

I know how addicting collecting is, I have gone thru this cycle with many items. The problem is space, TV's Stereo speakers are big. At least I can stack the speakers. This is a RCA cabinet a bought a couple of weeks ago at the TS for 28 dollars.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

You are a SICK, SICK man ! I LOVE it....(grin) Most of us here are pretty "Terminal" when it comes to collecting TVs, Radios, etc...
Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes I am a sick man, thats what my family, my 16 year old daughter and x. Funny how know mentions the money, and collection of art work, that they didn't want me to buy.

They don't mention the fact that they wanted me to stop collecting paintings when I had started to stack them on the floor. I went from being "Sick to Super Genius" when I sold some. I will buy all the 1951 GE consoles for 35 dollars. All day long.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 AM
AK Subscriber

Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Ree View Post
I just bought a GE Model 16K1 Television, Radio, Turntable console for 35 dollars. My loved think I am crazy, maybe but for 35 dollars I will buy them all day long.

I went to buy a piece of sculputure at a used furniture store, talking to the owner he showed me a Grundig 490U console *50 dollars*. My biggest problem was to get them home *I don't own a pickup*.

I traded a coworker that has a pickup a guitar to make the 25 mile trip and we picked them up. We missed the afternoon torrential showers and made it home. I was surprised to see it was from 1950 or 51.

I am a member of AudioKarma, and usually collect vintage stereo equipment, I just could not pass these item up. It would be nice to get the Grundig and GE up and running, if not they are still worth having.

What better icon of my time, the Televison, Radio and Turntable. Just a week earlier I bought a RCA Console with just a Turntable AM radio for 27 dollars.

I tell my daughter (she is16) how lucky she is to have the internet and the wealth of information that it has. I also try to show her the past, without appreciating the past how can you appreciate the "Now".
I feel the same way, it's good that you are preserving vintage for future generations. The Grunding Hi-Fi consol really looks good in todays decor, fits in well. I would not be surprised if the consol look may come back some day.
Back in those days, manufacturing was quality, it was built and sold to the North American public, anyone who bought that, knew it was built to last a life time, so you could buy with confidence. The companies being North American, knows that it was a major investment for most hard working people, and made sure that it was not going to be part of a landfill site two years later.

Last edited by HiFiCanada; 08-01-2011 at 05:49 AM.