Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you bring it up slowly on the variac, you should be able to spot the arc when it first starts. Be sure and watch the 6BG6 all the while for any misbehavior.

It might be less cumbersome to omit the picture tube while arc hunting.

Any chance you could post pictures?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Old Coot, I would be glad to post pictures, but the limitations of the file size has made it so I can't fit the picture file size in.. I have not in the past been able to reduce the size and still have any picture..
I thought I had to have the picture tube in for the problem to occur, but based on your answer, I will try it with out, as it would be much easier to do..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

As long as the yoke remains in-circuit, the sweep circuits don't need the CRT connected. (This would not be the case with a series-string set where the CRT heater is part of the string.)
Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Old Coot, Thanks for hanging in there with me.. I have powered up the set, and slowly brought it up to 110 Volts on the Variac.. No Arching and no turning purple on the 6BG6.. I did measure the voltage on the Anode wire and my tongue went out 6" when the horizontal drive control was in one position and at the opposite end it went out 9".. Or would you believe on the meter it was 6KV and 9KV..
I am not completely sure why, but my best guess, is while fixing both the wire and the top of the fly-back, I may have eliminated a source of either arching or excessive current draw.. I used two coats of dope syrup.. The chassis is on its side at present, and I will put it back to normal Position after this posting message and put in the 5" Picture Tube and see if things are still the same..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I Got Picture with the 5" Picture Tube, I need to get something with a picture, before I can for sure tell what I have on the screen.. I can tell there is at leat something going on.. I think I am seeing at some raster and some trace back (I can't think of the correct name).. But there is no Arching and no purple horizontal tube.. I will try the 10BP4 and find out IF that is or may be the problem or the cause of the problem.. I am listening to the news while I am typing this from the TV..
THANK YOU Marty
Audiokarma
Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
It looks like the 10BP4 that came with this set is no good.. I will need to check further, but after about 5 minutes of being on, the Picture Tube is still cold, and everything else nice and toasty.. But the good news is that there is no Arching and no purple horizontal tube..
I will need to dig out the 8T243 and borrow its 10BP4 Picture Tube..
THANK YOU marty
Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Marty,
Check the pins on the crt I tested it before I dropped the chassis off to you and the crt showed good emission. I hope it didn't lose vacuum, maybe the pins on the crt have intermittent connection. I enjoy following your progress on the tv.
Mike
Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

When you say the pic tube is still cold, does that mean the heater is not lit?The CRT neck does not run hot at all compared to the power tubes, damper and 5U4 which opererate under heavy current and run very hot.

If you're not getting a raster, have you adjusted the ion trap to find the elusive 'sweet spot' that makes the raster appear? If not, Rotate the trap around a full 360 degrees, slide it forward and back, and if nothing appears, swap it end for end and repeat.
Even if the CRT has weak emission you should stiil get a visible raster since the little tube made a raster.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I got the 10BP4 from the other set and I now have Raster and some retrace lines.. So I just thought I will try my VHS Tape player and see IF I can get anything from it..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

***OOPs! Double post. Dumb, dumb.
Audiokarma
Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
On the old CRT it is cold, meaning that as fas as I can tell there is no filament.. And on the One good 10BP4 CRT that I have I have raster and I already knew about the Ion Trap adjustment, which also means that my Ion Trap coil is good.. I have tried the VHS Tape player and I have sound, and no picture as of yet, But tomorrow or way later tonight I will try adjusting things to see what I can get..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try flowing solder into the heater pins (pins 1 and 12, either side of the key slot). But clean the solder off the outside of the pins real good so it doesn't bind going into the socket.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Old Coot, Thanks for the advice, I have a Video by "Admiral" Bob about resurrecting old CRT's, that I will use as a guide..
I also, tomorrow will need to get out my B&K 415 and also my B&K 1077b.. And put the 5" Picture Tube back in the 1077b and get it working again, So I can use it to see what sections work and what does not..
Thank You for your Help.. I don't know how many of the others appreciate your Advice and Help, but I do !!!!
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I got my B&K 1077b back together and I hooked it up to my small Color TV, just to make sure that it is working, before I try it on the 630.. Now to find a good B&K 415 and test it.. I have been busy most of the Day doing other things.. Now back to TV things..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I got the B&K 1077b hooked up to the 630, found where on the tuner it is by the sound, listening for the tone from the B&K.. No Picture, I will look at the manual, for the 1077b and start from the picture tube (grid) going back until I find the next problem.. tomorrow..
THANK YOU Marty
Audiokarma