Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
USPS says that the parcel was delivered March 27, 2021 at 1:04 pm ROUND ROCK, TX 78665 into the parcel locker, whatever that is. Does that make sense?
was the 2nd of the 2 cols which i put up as example

the seemingly lost one is 9400108205496489024821
Old 03-29-2021, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

https://i.imgur.com/Ik8V3ZL.jpg

progress so far...
Old 03-30-2021, 06:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

The transformer is indeed lost,
The seller got nowhere with USPS yesterday, they cold not tell him why there was no update in the scan, or even where it was... its gone...

now i need another one,
seems that ETF has 2.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talk about price gouging... there is one place asking $70 for a MERIT A-4003 Osc x-former
They must be insane.

I did get a refund for the stancor a-8122 $17
Old 03-30-2021, 07:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

https://i.imgur.com/B5mNfrL.jpg
one dead osc transformer.

edit--

thought as much, hopeless. not fixable. quite dead.

Last edited by Yamamaya42; 03-30-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-30-2021, 11:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Vert output transformer seems to be OK resistance wise , so that is a good sign.

this thing a been through a lot because the audio output transformer has been replaced with a Merit A-3019, and I'm not sure but I think the FBT may have been replaced as well, not sure, but it only has 2 of 4 screws and they don't match and the base metal looks newer.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

What a shame. I am still waiting for an item that has been in the Huntsville West (Alabama) PO for 8 days according to tracking. I am going to attempt to call them today. I really hope it eventually shows up.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's pretty much hopeless at this point expecting it to show up, chalk it up to the recent degradation of the USPS, and we all know who is to blame for that, w/o getting needlessly political.

The seller went to the point of shipment on Mon, to try and find what happened, and they could not give him any answers other then they had no idea where it was or why it was not scanned when it was dropped off there.
All I know is, here it is 7 days later, and still no change in status, and it most likely never will...

I have to wait and see what ETF can find for me now, in the meantime, I will be replacing the many bad resistors.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:43 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
https://i.imgur.com/B5mNfrL.jpg
one dead osc transformer.

edit--

thought as much, hopeless. not fixable. quite dead.
I'd carefully slice open the paper on the transformer and have a look. You have nothing to loose. Sometimes the magnet wire corrodes open close to where it solders to the colored leads or the outer layer of winding develops an open...

I had a vert Osc transformer in a Raytheon porthole where mice had chewed it up and I had to go down a layer to get back continuity in the open winding...It has ran decently on that lower turns count since then.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-31-2021, 02:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I'd carefully slice open the paper on the transformer and have a look. You have nothing to loose. Sometimes the magnet wire corrodes open close to where it solders to the colored leads or the outer layer of winding develops an open...

I had a vert Osc transformer in a Raytheon porthole where mice had chewed it up and I had to go down a layer to get back continuity in the open winding...It has ran decently on that lower turns count since then.
i already tried that, no good.
VERY THIN WIRE though

How often do these damn ' block osc transformers' go bad? And what could have made it go, age? Or did some putz burn it up?
The Sams mentions shorting the plate of the osc tube to ground as a test, in a ref in one waveform, that put all the power that would be going to the tube to gnd via that transformer winding, that can't be very good for it...

EDIT====

just a coincidence?

https://i.imgur.com/EOFc6d2.jpg

:O

Last edited by Yamamaya42; 03-31-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-31-2021, 06:34 PM
M is for Memory

The 1M resistor in series not to mention the 2.5M pot should limit plate winding current to safe levels with the plate grounded.

I think I have only seen 1-2 Vert Osc transformers failed and one of them was mouse chew fail...

A while ago on the antiqueradios.com TV forum an australian posted an RF circuit one could use in place of a vert Osc transformer to help out someone with that issue in IIRC a Dumont set.

I'm not good at all soldering surface mount stuff but years of collecting and restoring have made me learn how to solder 2 paper thin wires together well.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-31-2021, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

WOW,,, JUST WOW...

https://i.imgur.com/qUwsDjr.jpg

Old 04-01-2021, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

IT'S ALIVE!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!

THE IF IS ALIVE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXrOPvrDdzY
Old 04-02-2021, 12:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Houston, we have video!
https://i.imgur.com/RAg2C28.jpg
and sound!
very unstable, I'm sure the IF is all out of wack, I'm getting to the point that I can't do much more w/o the vert osc transformer.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

And here it is, 12 days later and there is still no sign of the transformer that was ordered, it's kind of stuck in limbo... USPS says the label was created but they never got the package, but the seller says that it WAS given to them on the day in mention, Rod Serling must be the Postmaster at the depot he tried to send it from, for there must no doubt be wormholes or dimensional rifts at that post office, and there is now a vertical oscillator blocking transformer floating out there in 10th dimension with Amelia Earhart and D. B. Cooper.
And so now that it seems that I can get video through the thing all the way to the last stage, ( crt cathode ), the hunt for a new replacement transfomer goes on. :O
Audiokarma