Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2016, 12:46 PM
M is for Memory

Sony badged Setchell-Carlson U-903 chassis monitor

Perhaps one of the more interesting unrecognized sets at the ETF was a 19" set in the silent auction badged and sold as a Sony. A look in the back revealed it is a Setchell-Carlson made deltagun monitor. I've wanted a S-C color TV or monitor since I first learned they made color sets. I was the only one who seemed to appreciate it for what it was, (Nick knew what it was, but wanted it for parts ).

The Sony name on it looks original so I'd guess Sony had S-C make them a big screen color monitor for their early VTR lines back before they were importing big screen color sets. I don't think I'll see another S-C monitor with Sony badging on it in my lifetime. Date codes and scribbles seem to indicate this monitor was made in 1968.

As you can see it was stored poorly for a long time. I had to hit the pencil box hinge with penetrating oil to budge it from it's ajar position. It's CRT is the strongest testing color CRT I've seen.

I've begun restoration on this set (will post pictures soon). All caps it needs that I have on hand have been changed, and I've brought it up on a variac, but there are problems. The focus coil is either a replacement or at least has been hacked into an aftermarket extension cable....On power up as soon as the H output tube warmed up (socket was dirty so I had to wiggle it to get it to light) the focus coil began to burn up violently. It quickly began arcing smoking, and burning. The screen did not light. I really need a schematic for this set or the closest production TV chassis to figure this out.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4