Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

ISO Sylvania E32-11 Flyback

Hey everyone, looking for a replacement flyback for a 1982-83 Sylvania E34-11 Chassis, Model CLB216P003. Sams dosn't list a Thordarson P/N and I'm running out of places to find one. I enlisted the help of a local retired repair tech, and he's having a heck of a time too. We've made really good progress with this set, but this is starting to look like a show stopper.

Hopeful one of you can help us out! Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/tDuWQZ0

Last edited by CRTs; 04-24-2024 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Pics
Old 04-23-2024, 10:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

flyback cross reference is severely lacking in anything post 1970. The oldbies have a lot of scans floating around of their vintage Packard Bell TV parts and such, but they don't much care about our 1980s stuff (or much solid state TVs for that matter)

Hopfully someone with access to the manufacturer cross reference catalogs will step up and scan them in, because it's definitely become a roadblock for a lot of people and the cause of many trashed sets
Old 04-23-2024, 11:23 AM
M is for Memory

Maybe give Chester electronics in Kenosha a call. They likely still have the reference books, and might have the part.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Technotronics Dimensions
They work with a lot of flybacks, most from monitors.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

E32-11 ? I find no information using that number.
Audiokarma
Old 04-24-2024, 07:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Apologies everyone - this is an E34-11, not E32, typo.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I reached out to those two vendors but did not have any luck.

It's been suggested that there was never a cross for this part, and once NOS from the OEM was exhausted, thats it.

Feeling like a needle in a haystack situation now.

We're 95% confident the flyback is bad at this point. Per the retired tech who's been excellent at guiding and assisting me with this repair -

Once the sweep circuit is started we have decent amplitude of waveform going to the base of the horizontal output transistor. The transistor is working because there is a greatly amplified waveform at the collector; not enough, but very much more than the base. Also – the 220vdc source is flyback derived, but the waveform at that diode is only around 100v p-p. It is a single diode rectifier circuit (half wave) so we need to see around 200 vpp coming off the FBT to make 220DC.

Another also – the HV is produced by the winding of the flyback rectified by 4 internal diodes, per the Sams. Using the diode check function of my Fluke 73, I cannot measure any conduction regardless of what direction the probes are attached; very probable open HV winding inside the FBT.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe this guy may have it
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/t.../#post-7632003
Old 04-25-2024, 06:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTs View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I reached out to those two vendors but did not have any luck.

It's been suggested that there was never a cross for this part, and once NOS from the OEM was exhausted, thats it.

Feeling like a needle in a haystack situation now.

We're 95% confident the flyback is bad at this point. Per the retired tech who's been excellent at guiding and assisting me with this repair -

Once the sweep circuit is started we have decent amplitude of waveform going to the base of the horizontal output transistor. The transistor is working because there is a greatly amplified waveform at the collector; not enough, but very much more than the base. Also – the 220vdc source is flyback derived, but the waveform at that diode is only around 100v p-p. It is a single diode rectifier circuit (half wave) so we need to see around 200 vpp coming off the FBT to make 220DC.

Another also – the HV is produced by the winding of the flyback rectified by 4 internal diodes, per the Sams. Using the diode check function of my Fluke 73, I cannot measure any conduction regardless of what direction the probes are attached; very probable open HV winding inside the FBT.
Is very difficult to measure these diodes with DMM or suchlike, due to large forward drop of each one. Better is to make a simple gig using a >20V PSU and a series current limiting resistor, and then measuring the resulting voltage in the flyback.

About Vpp of waveform, yes, even being very asymetrical in this case (H sweep), is needed to have sufficient Vpp to make work, and this directly reflects in the Vdc measured (if rectified is lower, for sure some issue is there).
Old 04-25-2024, 09:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, exciting update in locating a unicorn flyback. I think I found it.
Using Sears Parts Direct LOL
I started by searching all the model numbers Sams set 2181 covered -
CLB216P001, 2, 3
CLB226P001, 2
CLB227P001
CLB326PR01
CLB327PR01, 2, 3, 4
CL6682W
CL6685HN
CL6686P
CL6685HN was a hit on google! Linked me to Sears Parts Direct.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/.../magnavox-cl6685hn...
This showed a Magnavox set... and I remembered GTE Sylvania Magnavox... all same sets under the NAP chassis....
Ok... looking at the parts, they listed a "Interface Transformer" Part #3618800005
Now let's google 3618800005
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294774995398
Woooo?! Sure looks like it. Just a black case vs white. Part number on the new flyback matches up to mine. 00361880-0005
Bought it last night. Fingers crossed. I appreciate everyone's help - not out of the woods yet. Not idea if the CRT itself is a goner. Hoping for the best.

This has been an excellent learning experience and I think I've found my new favorite pull your hair out hobby.
Audiokarma
Old 04-25-2024, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Excellent, that's the secret, the codes...