Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2003, 11:00 PM
Administrator

CTC-5 on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3638

The tube 21AXP22 looks like it has a lot of miles, look at the black oxidation around the base.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Banned

Here I was just going to post about this set, just discovered it myself on ebay and by golly Eric has beaten me to it! Eric that CRT does look really high mileage. Too bad. Good 21AXP22's are really scarce and none of the rebuilders want to touch them.

Rob
Old 05-31-2003, 07:24 AM
Administrator

My 5 had the same stuff around the picture tube when I got it from Rob. It's just some black dust, it's kind of a bitch to get the glass off, but cleans up easily enough.

Man I'd like that set. Time to email Harry
Old 05-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Banned

Tim,

We're not discussing the dust on the screen which is attracted by the HV. We're talking about the tungsten deposited on the back of the neck of the CRT just in front of the socket plug.

Good luck with Harry.

Rob
Old 05-31-2003, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC-5

Don't ask me why, but I have always had a soft spot for the CTC-5 models. I guess because my first color set was a CTC-5 Aldrich "special". This Stanwyck "super" model is pretty much an Aldrich with legs (formally) attached. That 21AXP22A tube will be a bit difficult to replace but a 21CYP22 or later tube will work just fine. The front glass is removed by pulling the pencil box and releasing the bezel spring clips in front and the glass retainers inside the cabinet. Since you'll remove the chassis anyway, it's a good time to remove and clean the tube face and safety glass. I do disagree with Harry on one point. The only thing that this set has in common with a CT-100 is that they are both color tv's.

Last edited by Steve D.; 05-31-2003 at 02:47 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-31-2003, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Tim,

We're not discussing the dust on the screen which is attracted by the HV. We're talking about the tungsten deposited on the back of the neck of the CRT just in front of the socket plug.

Good luck with Harry.

Rob
Ah, nevermind......
Old 06-01-2003, 02:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

ctc-5

does this ctc-5 have that photo printed woodwork?(faux)
i still need to do something with the cabinet on my ctc-7 "anderson"
terry
Old 06-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Terry, refering to Ed Reitan's Site:

http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/Gallery/CTC5_Gallery.html

This would appear to be the "Stanwyck" model with the "Super" chassis. Also the legs have been cut off as Harry mentioned.

The 5 in the model number means:

"5" Mahogany Grained Finish, or Genuine Mahogany Veneers and Solids"

So it could be either one but from the picture it looks like it has lifting Veneer on the top so perhaps this is one with the real wood?

I would be more worried about the missing legs I think, unless you can remove them entirely and make an "Aldrich" out of it
Old 06-01-2003, 03:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice TV...I have been looking for a CTC5.

This bidder has their teeth into this one! (I tried but that is too much money for a table model)

Soon I will have a WORKING CTC 4 blondie table model with the correct 21AXP22 with super emission. (I am almost finished restoring it)

That means that I will have two working 4's and no 5.

Hmmmm.....

Anyone instersted?

Kirk Out
Old 06-01-2003, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC-5 Faux?

Terry and Eric,
I believe the CTC-5 "Special" & "Super" models had the faux finish on hardboard. The "Deluxe" series had either genuine hardwood cabinets or hardwood & veneer. My CTC-5 dealer catalog seems to confirms this. Harry refers to his Stanwyck as having the "sprayed on" finish. My CTC-5 Wingate Deluxe is solid maple on the doors and top with maple veneer on the sides. It weighs a ton.
Audiokarma
Old 06-01-2003, 11:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

My CTC-5 Lockhaven (you may remember the thread of my acquisition of "Betty") is a "Super", and it has a faux finish.

Incidentally, I've found a local guy who'll give her a good look-over... it appears that a few less-than-approved modifications may have been made during the last restoration...

-Kevin