Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Another update. the NTSC generator arrived this weekend. plugged it into the monitor input and oh boy, the colors are pretty bad. Looks like I have a lot of adjusting to do. Any advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1570421387404.jpg (49.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:13 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Can your generator be set to a plain red field (or other single color?) Try that and see what you get.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Can your generator be set to a plain red field (or other single color?) Try that and see what you get.
Unfortunately no, I have a raster option but that just outputs a black screen.
The other settings are dots, crossgrid, and NTSC bars color and non-color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NTSC-1249A.jpg (37.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 12:20 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbond View Post
Unfortunately no, I have a raster option but that just outputs a black screen.
The other settings are dots, crossgrid, and NTSC bars color and non-color.
Got a DVD player with composite and a DVD with an all red screen in it that you can pause on (a season appropriate horror flick might have an all red screen)?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Can you put in some regular video and see if you're getting rainbows from left to right? It's hard to tell on those bars, but the chroma frequency may be off. This seems very peculiar though, as I thought the monitor input on most VCR's just went directly to the RF modulator without being processed by the VCR color circuits. So, first you need to figure out exactly what is happening to the signal so you can figure out how to fix it.
Audiokarma
Old 10-07-2019, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Can you put in some regular video and see if you're getting rainbows from left to right? It's hard to tell on those bars, but the chroma frequency may be off. This seems very peculiar though, as I thought the monitor input on most VCR's just went directly to the RF modulator without being processed by the VCR color circuits. So, first you need to figure out exactly what is happening to the signal so you can figure out how to fix it.
On this VTR there is a switch for BW or Color. On playback mode you can switch between the two and if your tape was in color you'd get color picture, otherwise you can watch it in BW. When i switch to color mode on a tape i KNOW should be in color, I also get ranbow banding like this (see image)

This VTR has twin leads for UHF and VHF in, then RCA video.audio outs as well as coax VHF output. The generator is running thu twin lead VHF in, then I have the RCA video out going to the in on my tv.(right side of the previous image). In the schematic, most of the adjustment pots for a Scope are controlled though the VTR in monitor mode with a NTSC picture pattern.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg a01.jpg (112.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 04:31 PM

OK! Since the instructions say to use an NTSC input and set the VCR to monitor mode, it must actually be doing color processing in that mode.

So, it does appear that the color frwquency is off, and by multiples of horizontal rate. That is a long way to be off, but the circuit may need that range to sync properly to tape playback.

If you want to try a short-cut (no guarantees), I would say try C525, 3.58 MHz oscillator frequency. Try to keep track of how much you turn it so you can turn it back if it doesn't work.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:37 PM

If C525 has NO efffect in monitor mode, it may mean that going to monitor mode was only meant to make the oscillator free-run, and there actually is no color processing in monitor mode. In that case, you really do need a frequency counter.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
OK! Since the instructions say to use an NTSC input and set the VCR to monitor mode, it must actually be doing color processing in that mode.

So, it does appear that the color frwquency is off, and by multiples of horizontal rate. That is a long way to be off, but the circuit may need that range to sync properly to tape playback.

If you want to try a short-cut (no guarantees), I would say try C525, 3.58 MHz oscillator frequency. Try to keep track of how much you turn it so you can turn it back if it doesn't work.
Thanks I will take a look tonight after work. BTW on the schematic, it says "frequency counter with 1 second gate interval" do you know what this is/how i could use one for this? A quick search on ebay shows many cheap digital freq. counters, but i'm not sure how to use that here.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Digital...229348d37cccd5
I'm also attaching another sheet from the schematic, this time the Color RECORD scope measurements, again all through Monitor mode but these may effect something as well. I dont have a scope currently as I've been debating if spending $100+ on a one time use for this one project makes sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rec-ad.JPG (94.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 05:37 PM

You need a counter that can measure down to 1 Hz resolution like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-1-1100MHz...-/121840965555
Audiokarma
Old 10-07-2019, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
You need a counter that can measure down to 1 Hz resolution like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-1-1100MHz...-/121840965555
Thank you for that link. But how do I use that? What are the connection points? Sorry for dumb questions.

And you were right, adjusting C525 does nothing, so I will have to get a frequency counter
Old 10-07-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbond View Post
Thank you for that link. But how do I use that? What are the connection points? Sorry for dumb questions.

And you were right, adjusting C525 does nothing, so I will have to get a frequency counter
The connection point on the counter is labeled "RF input" in the photos on ebay.
The connection points on the VCR are listed in the "Connection" column on the sheet you posted. For example, to set the 3.58 Mhz oscillator frequency, you would connect the RF input of the counter to TP503.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The connection point on the counter is labeled "RF input" in the photos on ebay.
The connection points on the VCR are listed in the "Connection" column on the sheet you posted. For example, to set the 3.58 Mhz oscillator frequency, you would connect the RF input of the counter to TP503.
The connector on that chip looks like this:. How do I get that to connect to my board?

Old 10-07-2019, 11:29 PM

You may have to get some clips like this:
https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...xoCq2MQAvD_BwE
or this:
https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...hoC6lcQAvD_BwE
Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I bought an oscilloscope the other day from CL. Been trying to check the different pot adjustments on the boards, to minor success. Cant seem to get the NTSC signal showing like it should.

BUT I did get the RF cover off over the 3.57mhz crystal. I have a feeling it mightve gone bad. Going to get a new one soon, looks like the old one is in a HC6 style case
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5438.jpg (87.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5427.jpg (47.3 KB, 14 views)
Audiokarma