Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:49 PM
VK Member

Motorola 17K11A ts-228

Picked up subject tv today and am looking for more information on it, ie schematics, manufacture year etc. Any help would be appreciated. Set is complete but hums loud so I know it will need work. No picture either. It is very hard to locate information on it.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Sams Photofact index lists it (under Quasar) as Photofact set 165 folder #7. (1952)

jr

https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photo...x/model/17K11A

Last edited by jr_tech; 11-19-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add link
Old 11-26-2010, 02:06 PM
VK Member

Thanks for pointing me to the schematics, now another question, got a lincoln L550 tester and can't find a manual for it. I want to make sure the tube is good before I dump a lot of money into this set. If the tube is good I will replace all caps first. All tubes light but have not tested them yet. If the picture tube does not light and the thing tests good does this usually get corrected by cap replacement or is there some other area I should also focus on?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I definately would check the CRT first. According to my Riders manual on the chassis, it shows a 17TP4 CRT which is a metal cone, electro-static focus CRT. The chance of that tube having any real life in it is rather slim. P.S. I never heard of a Lincoln CRT tester. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:38 AM
VK Member

So if the CRT is dead would you suggest parting the set out? What would the rest of you do with it and the cabinet?
Audiokarma
Old 11-27-2010, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Dont be too hasty on this project. I wouldn't buy the schematic from Sams. $20.00 is a crime. PM me if you want a copy of my Riders. There's so many variables when dealing with sets this age. The CRT was possibly replaced before the set was removed from regular service. Look inside for evidence when the set was repaired last.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:08 PM
VK Member

I can see no evidence of it being worked on, it has a rca picture tube not sure if that was standard or not. So now back to my original question, if all tubes light what would the main cause of the picture tube not powering on be? barring a bad CRT. I am a newbie at this as it is much scarier than old radios which I am used to doing. I keep telling myself it is a large radio with a big tube nothing to be scared of.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 AM
VK Member

I bridged the 100mfd cap and took the hum out trying to see if the HV would work. The HV tube would light and quit and repeat. Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Duane. Was supposed to get back to you. After bridging the electro. do you still have a hum? It sounds to me that the horizontal oscillator is cutting in and out. Try bridging the next 'lytic after the field coil choke. I"ll PM you later in the day.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:50 AM
VK Member

There was a slight hum but much quieter.
Audiokarma