Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyfilm View Post
Steve, I assume that you know that RCA (and everyone else) had to pay CBS's Goldmark Lab. for every color CRT made after the 15GP22 until the Goldmark patent expired in 1972. Paley then got his revenge by firing Goldmark that year.

A similar (identical?) photo of the studio appeared on epray from one of those old picture sellers about two years ago. At the time, I thought that shot looked familiar, but could not place it.

When you posted your copy, my mind remembered seeing color and that got me thinking.

Attached is the original article from November 1954, which includes an additional shot plus a very small copy of your photo!

Sorry for the rippled images, 'cause I shot this with a normal camera.

Either I've got to buy a new scanner or fix my old DOS-based antique scanner and I don't think I'm up to repairing these modern contraptions.

Jas.
Earlyfilm,

Thanks for posting the the Radio-Electronics cover & article. Surprised I had never seen that issue. Looks like the photo I posted & in the article were taken earlier than the cover photo which has the CBS color logos on the cameras. I was aware of Paley's revenge on Goldmark Labs. re: Goldmark's patented process for applying phosphor dots on the tube face. All part of the long running color war. Sarnoff/RCA still came out ahead in the long run.