Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Banned

Zenith 12CB12 had no VHF

This set was fine and one day the VHF tuner just gave light snow. I had a feeling about it so I left it on with low bright/contrast(to preserve CRT) for an hour or so and it came back fine. Must have been some micro moisture I suppose. Works fine again!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking

Are you sure that the TV station didn't go off the air?

Back in the mid sixties, the Northeast had a massive power blackout, taking out New York City and its TV stations. I was in Bergen County NJ and our power company PSE&G was the only one in the region that didn't go down. The person in charge of the power plants that time didn't like what the meters were telling him, and he dropped all connections to other power companies. We had lights, but no TV reception because all the stations were dead. Heard that some people ran out to buy new TV tuner tubes because they thought that was the problem...

Oddly enough, again we didn't lose power 2 years ago when we had that big blackout in Ohio and the Northeast. Though most of our region did. Maybe because the guy who was in charge of the power plant lives a few houses down from here The powerline voltage did oscillate wildly from 90V to 140V every half minute for an hour. Who knows what the powerline frequency did...

Last edited by wa2ise; 07-27-2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Banned

The stations were work'n.

I'm glad I didn't take it apart. I hope my next set is that easy to fix.

Your story reminds me of a friend from Philly; Edward Callahan. He later went to St. Pete.