Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:16 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Great Finds last weekend!!

I went to an estate sale this weekend of a little old lady who had passed. Her house was filled with wonderfull things of old! Furniture, tableware, dishes, and loads of vintage radio, hi-fi, and tv. She had a zenith console roundie color set, but it had already sold for only $20!! In the garage I found a zenith box that contained a 1960 Space command 300 tabletop. The box was original and had the paperwork that said it was bought here in La Mesa, CA. I got it for a whopping 4 dollars!!! Remote included! Pic attached after I cleaned it up, just beautiful.

That same day I red an ad in the paper that an antique store was going out of business. There I found a beautiful Predicta! It was odd, I had never seen one like this, but it bore the predicta insignia. It is a model G-4662. They wanted 200 dollars for it, I waited till a half hour before closing and got it for 90 dollars!

I can't wait to start working on these!!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great finds! Thats one thing, I've never come across an estate sale like that. I'll keep looking. Saturday there is an estate auction I'm gonna hit, might be promising.

The more I look at that Philco the more I like it. They really went all out to be different in the late 50s.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdylon
In the garage I found a zenith box that contained a 1960 Space command 300 tabletop. The box was original and had the paperwork that said it was bought here in La Mesa, CA. I got it for a whopping 4 dollars!!! Remote included! Pic attached after I cleaned it up, just beautiful.

Oooh, Doug's gonna be jealous!

What are those thingies on top of the Zenith? Rabbit ears?

veg
Old 07-25-2005, 05:21 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

The built-in rabbit ears on the zenith are missing, but other than that the cabinet is flawless!!!

CRTs on both test strong, Havn't powered up the chassis on either up yet, going to look them over throughly.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Wink What a Collection!!

Nice.. Reccommending re-capping Zenith, first. It has a number of non-trust-worthy black beuties. You may have remote control problems with it. I have the same set, plus, a junker, and the switches on the solonoid for volume, and power, and switch on back of tuner for motor are alot of trouble. I still hope to get the one playing, though. I want to put it in my bed-room.
Audiokarma
Old 07-25-2005, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

great finds! I love that zenith remote set! You're very lucky to find such a set with its box and papers. Too bad you missed out on the roundie. Someone probably bought it to turn it into a shelf. (I see it here all the time). Good luck with them-Doug
Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Powered up the zenith tonight. After some new filters the remote system works perfect. The set powers up, but raster only and the vertical sync is nowhere to be found. Doesn't even come close to locking in. After a few minutes, the raster shrinks, dims and then goes away entirely. The 5u4 tests good, and I have several replacements, but still the same occurs. I will post another thread when I get around to tearing into this one.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:50 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Powered up the philco. Good sharp, bright picture, tuner works great. bottom vertical foldover. Has the same problem as the zenith where i run it for 5 minutes, then the picture slowly shrinks up and disappears with the sound like the B+ is disappearing. I have tried replacing the 5u4, but the problem persists. Bad input filter, failing power supply? I don't know. Like I said, I'll post the details elsewhere.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Awesome Philco!!!!

THAT PHILCO HAS ONE OF THE MOST AWESOME DESIGNS I'VE SEEN FOR ANY TV, COOOOOL FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2005, 09:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Would that Predicta be one of the "Miss America" models ? They had a more conventional cabinet, I think...-Sandy G.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sandy,
You are correct. Its a Miss America model. It has a chassis almost like the 17 inch predicta's but with the Holiday picture tube. By the time this one was built it should have already had the updated tube installed.
-Tony
Old 08-06-2005, 02:03 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Good to know, I never had even seen a predicta like this one before, but i figured that the insignia, and the near perfect physical condition meant that it belonged in my house! The space command facinates me, i can't believe the technology they had in the early 60s As soon as I get some time to myself again (yeah, right) I will get to work on both. RIght now i've lot some work to attend to on my sansui qrx-9001. Can't live without a good amp, and the 4 channel is neat too.

One thing that puzzles me is the cost of predictas i see on espray. I see these almost all the time, yet they are 300+ for beat ass one. I would think that a model like mine would go for more considering how obscure it is....
Old 08-06-2005, 06:29 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Your Miss America is worth less than other Predictas because it has more conventional styling than the others, & now that's what people seem to want- the "Gee, Mr Wizard, it's 1960 !!" styling. It does look like you've got a very nice set, & IIRC, the Miss Americas were the last of the Predicta line. Since it does have a more conventional cabinet, heat issues shouldn't be a problem, & I think most of the problems had been ironed out by then. Congrats on a fine score !-Sandy G.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:42 AM
DTV blows

I've never gone shopping for a TV at an estate sale-- hell, I haven't gone to an estate sale since I was a teenager and spotted a Stromberg-Carlson console radio-phono because I had ZERO knowledge then!-- but I can't believe the condition of those two TV sets!! I think you hit paydirt, JP.
Tom