Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't have a picture of my dial (it is in pieces), but I found this picture on the internet
and is identical to mine.
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/6360/p3012018.jpg

As I said earlier, the same basic knob was used for many years, later versions were
black & silver or plain black. The portable models say Dishmobile on the front of the
knob.

If any of you see one or a junked machine in your travels, it would be greatly
appreciated.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found an even better picture of the dishwasher and a close up of the dial/knob on
automaticwasher.org. See link: http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...Fm9B0tECVGMbtw
Old 12-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Motorola Minion

GE range from mid 60's? Was this "Coppertone" popular before harvest gold and avocado?
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/app/4256947206.html
Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
GE range from mid 60's? Was this "Coppertone" popular before harvest gold and avocado?
I think so, my parents had a house full of appliances in that color.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I believe it was the mid 50's that the appliance companies started making them in colors. In the early and mid 60's (before harvest gold and avocado) there were colors like Coppertone Brown and Turquoise. Earlier there was another brown, but it was a lighter color. I have a G.E. Americana fridge that is in Coppertone Brown, it is from about 1966. Actually tomorrow I'll be purchasing the G.E. Americana range also in Coppertone Brown.
Audiokarma
Old 12-27-2013, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Circa 1950
International Harvester and Caloric start offering different colored handles on their fridges and ranges respectively to give the woman of the house a choice of accent colors to harmonize with the color of her kitchen.
Late 1953-1954
Frigidaire introduces the first appliances in colors. You can choose Stratford Yellow, Sherwood Green, or White.
January 1955
GE introduces 5 new colors for their appliances, Woodtone Brown (the color of light chocolate milk), Turquoise Green, Cadet Blue (a sort of Navy Blue), Petal Pink, and Canary Yellow. Woodtone Brown and Cadet Blue are not very popular colors. Cadet Blue is gone by 1957 and Woodtone brown is replaced by Coppertone in the early 60's
1955-1956
Frigidaire adds Mayfair Pink and Sheffield Gray to its color palette for the 1956 line of appliances/ Maytag washers and dryers become available in Pasteltone Pink, Green, and Yellow, Kelvinator produces 8 new colors, Bermuda Pink, Spring Green, Fern Green, Dawn Gray, Sand Beige, Buttercup Yellow, Harvest Yellow, and Lagoon Blue, non of which are all that popular. The majority of these colors were dropped sometime around 1960 and replaced with the standard pink, turquoise, and yellow colors. It is also around this time that stainless steel appliances start to make their debut...especially in the new field of built in appliances range, oven fridge etc.).
Frigidaire replaces Sheffield Gray with Charcoal Gray on its new Sheer Look line of appliances. This color is not at all popular and is discontinued after 1960 1958
Frigidaire replaces Sherwood Green and Stratford Yellow with Turqouise and Sunny Yellow (which is a more pastel Yellow)
Frigidaire introduces Aztec Copper to its line of appliances and this color will eventually become know as Coppertone or Copper Brown and be offered all the way into the early 1980's
1963-1965
The number of companies offering Pink, Mint Green, and Yellow appliances have dwindled while the hot colors of the early 1960s are Copper Brown and Turquoise. About this time Frigidaire offers a color called Honey Beige which is lighter than Aztec Copper. Also about this time Whirlpool offers a very rare color on certain RCAWhirlpool and Sears Kenmore models that is very similar to the Woodtone Brown GE had offered a decade earlier, it is called Doeskin and is not very popular and is dropped rather quickly.
GE introduces a new color just in time to go with the Danish modern look of the late 1960s.....Avocado. Maytag offers Turquoise for the last time on its redesigned Washpower automatics. RCA Whirlpool adds 2 more rare colors to their color pallet, Edged Fawn and Edged Sapphire. These to colors do not last long and are gone circa 1968
1967-1968
Around this time, Frigidaire also introduces its line of Fashion Colors which consists of Matador Red, Biscayne Blue, Tahitian Green, and what could be considered an early version of almond called Autumn Haze. Maytag appliances are offered in Cordoba Copper Spanish Avocado and Castillian Yellow. Castillian Yellow is replaced circa 1968 with California Gold (aka Harvest Gold). GE introduces another new color called Harvest (GE never called it Harvest Gold) which becomes available in the Spring of 1968.
Circa 1970
Frigidaire introduces the color poppy on its appliances
1971-1976
No major changes are made in colors during this period
All the appliance manufactures get together through the American Home Appliance Manufactures Association [AHAM ] and agree on new colors that all match from brand to brand. GE is the first to introduce them and calles these colors the New Naturals. The colors are named, Onyx, Coffee, Harvest Wheat, Fresh Avocado, Snow, and a brand new color is added and is called Almond. These colors are more vivid then their predecessors and GE advertises The New Naturals in a huge campaign in all the "home magazines" of the day.
Early to late 1980's
Copper Brown and Avocado start to fall by the wayside as the favorite colors of the early 80s seems to be Almond and what is now known as Harvest Gold. During this time GE and Whirlpool experiment with a light brown/beige color that Whirlpool calls toast and GE calls Sand, as well as a silver/gray color that Whirlpool calls Platinum and GE calls Silver. Both of these colors prove not to be too popular and they are dropped after a few years. Also in the mid 80's Whirlpool starts offering the top of the line Lady Kenmore washers and dryers in black.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:29 AM
David Thomas

Quote:
My mother has a range exactly like this one (except in avacodo green). It was purchased new when her and dad got married in 1968. She still uses it daily, and the only problems she has had with it in over 40 years is a couple of elements and an oven thermostat.

GE really made some high quality appliances back in those days. Now-a-days, the GE name on an appliance is the kiss of death.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
My mother has a range exactly like this one (except in avacodo green). It was purchased new when her and dad got married in 1968. She still uses it daily, and the only problems she has had with it in over 40 years is a couple of elements and an oven thermostat.

GE really made some high quality appliances back in those days. Now-a-days, the GE name on an appliance is the kiss of death.
Unfortunately GE commercial/industrial electrical distribution gear is about on par with their appliances these days. It used to be good, solid stuff all the way through the 1980s.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great info Countryford!

Totally true about GE today. Their commercial AC units used to be the best available, now they're junk.

GE has been trying to sell their appliance division for several years now and apparently nobody's interested. Not even Whirlpool, who's bought out every other American appliance name. They still have Appliance Park in Louisville, but maybe not for long. A lot of their stuff is now rebranded Samsung.

Today's GE is nothing like the GE of old. The company has been badly mismanaged for several years now.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrand View Post
Great info Countryford!

Totally true about GE today. Their commercial AC units used to be the best available, now they're junk.

GE has been trying to sell their appliance division for several years now and apparently nobody's interested. Not even Whirlpool, who's bought out every other American appliance name. They still have Appliance Park in Louisville, but maybe not for long. A lot of their stuff is now rebranded Samsung.

Today's GE is nothing like the GE of old. The company has been badly mismanaged for several years now.
Maybe, "Haier", a Chinese firm, will try to buy them. They tried buying Maytag but Whirlpool prevailed in the purchase.
Audiokarma
Old 12-29-2013, 01:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just picked this up yesterday. I have the matching fridge already. Same color. I'll try and get a picture of the two side-by-side.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

some ge appliances are now samsung. run fast and run now.....
Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryford View Post
I just picked this up yesterday. I have the matching fridge already. Same color. I'll try and get a picture of the two side-by-side.

Your's has kin for sale in Louisville. Only $80!:
http://louisville.craigslist.org/app/4227987306.html

Old 01-02-2014, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Unfortunately GE commercial/industrial electrical distribution gear is about on par with their appliances these days. It used to be good, solid stuff all the way through the 1980s.
I don't know if this is really a fair generalization to make - their medium voltage vacuum circuit breakers and especially their protective relays seem to be as good as anything on the market. GE Multilin protective relays are used extensively in power distribution and from what I have seen they've been reliable and well performing products.

Electrical distribution gear by all manufacturers is getting lighter and cheaper over time... if GE didn't make some changes to keep up with modern needs they would go the way of Westinghouse.

It seems to me that GE is a company which is heavily (or exclusively) driven by profit margins and quarterly reports, but when the giant flexes its muscles it can accomplish great things. Look at their jet engines for example for some very impressive US technology.

The fact is no electrical company in North America will ever again see the glory days where the whole country needs power, and foreign competition is nearly non-existent. Let's just hope GE can hold on and the whole world doesn't get owned by the European giants like Siemens, Schnieder Electric, ABB, etc.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 PM
David Thomas

GE's appliance division has slipped considerably over the past 20 years. Back in the 90's when Maytag was considering purchasing Amana from Raytheon, General Electric was wanting to exit the home appliance business and sell the entire division. Problem was, nobody was willing to pay their price for a part of their business they hadn't spent any real money on in years. Negligence can destroy a business.

After management realized nobody was interested, they started spending money to update the line (and by "update", I mean "cheapen"). Their laundry was the first to be changed, and it was not for the better. While the old design was hopelessly outdated compared to the competition, the new line was plagued with quality issues. We won't even get into what they done to the refrigeration line, but suffice it to say it was the end of the road for what was once a reliable and well-built product.

One of these days, GE is likely to be simply a name and not a manufacturer in the home appliance business. Of course, they sure won't be the first. It has happened to some of the biggest names in the business (Amana, Maytag, Westinghouse, Admiral, to name a few).
Audiokarma