Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony AV 5000A

I recently obtained this Sony AV 5000A Color videotape recorder, does anyone have any info/comments to share ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2936.jpg (57.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-27-2021, 07:46 PM
M is for Memory

So you own one too. Welcome to the club. Mine came with a print out of this webpage that tells the interesting history of how these decks came to have non-EIAJ-standard color.
http://www.labguysworld.com/Sony_AV-5000A.htm

Mine still works (I had to record a color tape on it to watch it in color) but belt slippage and the tapes getting sticky makes picture quality and sync vary. Wish I had the lid for mine...
I've got 3 EIAJ decks the Sony AV5000A , another Sony (model 36something)that's EIAJ standard color, and a monochrome Concord.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-28-2021, 08:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Tom, Thank You for the response. I am just now having the time to sort through some more of the stuff I rescued a few years ago from that long ago closed TV shop I got to pick from and I'm trying to decide what to give/sell to someone VS what I'll end up keeping. To be honest videotape has never been an interest of mine and I saved these because I felt due to their rarity someone might want them, after all they aren't nearly as common as a 1990s Goldstar VCR. I say "these", "their", and "them" because there are actually two of these type of machines I saved, and here's a picture of the other, a Hitachi "Time Lapse Recorder" that has an odd set of pushbuttons labeled "Time Select" with buttons for 1, 12, 24, 48, and 96 hours. Perhaps this was part of a security system of some type? I suspect it to be monochrome since there are no "COLOR" labels on it.

I also have a box of CRT brighteners, 4 of which look to be the type used for the color roundies that are quite popular here, and one other thing I'll ask for now is, are these "New Vista" color tv knob plates from any desirable tvs that anyone might want/need in their old tv restorations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2935.jpg (66.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeR (23).jpg (91.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeR (22).jpg (148.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by init4fun; 02-28-2021 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:23 PM
M is for Memory

Not sure how far away you are, but if you decide you want to sell the AV5000A and or the security timelapse VTR I'd be interested.

Those plates look like the ones used on the CTC-16,17,19,20, and possibly others...Odds are someone will need one sooner or later.

I've been to a couple of places with security cameras the same vintage as that timelapse VTR...They are comically big even compared to 80's security cameras.

Those brighteners are great if you collect roundys. Ever find a good CRT with the base destroyed?... Just take a new base off a brightener and install it. Ever have a chassis with a ruined CRT socket (smashed, focus contact corroded away, etc.)?...Just stake one from a brightener and install it. They're also good for their designed purpose: Getting a basically dead CRTto to produce a picture while you look for a good replacement.

Last edited by Electronic M; 02-28-2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2021, 02:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

If we were closer I'd be happy to sell or trade them to you, but I'm in Massachusetts and I can't believe shipping these would be affordable?
Audiokarma
Old 03-01-2021, 04:34 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
If we were closer I'd be happy to sell or trade them to you, but I'm in Massachusetts and I can't believe shipping these would be affordable?
You're probably right. Though if you still have them whenever the next ETF meet happens perhaps the ETF pony express could work around that.
I've been contemplating going to the Kutztown meet for a long time. If nothing stops me and if my local clubs stay shutdown as they have for over a year I may finally go to the spring Kutztown meet....it's been WAY too long since I last had a swap meet to go to.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
it's been WAY too long since I last had a swap meet to go to
I can definitely relate to that!