Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-27-2021, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs down Sony AV-3650 service manual

I have got an AV-3650 in very good state and want to use it to digitize some videotapes from the early 80s. The machine is even clean on the inside. I lubricated it and tested the mechanism. Everything OK.

The heads are in good order, and surprisingly, the belts and capstan are in perfect condition. They don´t make rubber parts like that any more. I have a good enough RF level coming into the demodulator. The input signal is passed all right to the output in EE mode.

But in play and record the capstan is turning too fast. This model has a separate DC motor for the capstan, as it was an "editing deck" of the era. The tape runs at about twice the normal speed. I measured the voltage at the capstan motor, at about 13 V. I remember many years ago, when I used to repair other Sony VTRs, it was supposed to be from 5 to 7 V.

The power transistor is not shorted, and its base voltage is about 0,7 V higher than the emitter voltage where the motor is connected, so the trouble comes from somewhere in the servo circuit.

The trouble is, I do not have the service manual. I could try to trace back the circuit visually, but not knowing the correct voltages nor waveforms, it will be very difficult to find the cause of the problem.

There are one or two places on the Web where the AV-3650 service manual can be downloaded for a very reasonable fee, but you know, I live in Cuba, and not having an account in a US bank, must limit myself to free downloads.

Maybe somebody can tell me where can the service manual be downloaded from?

Thank you very much.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi!
I do my best for you to find one!
Best regards,
TV-collector
Old 09-30-2021, 07:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-collector View Post
Hi!
I do my best for you to find one!
Best regards,
TV-collector
Thank you very much!! Meanwhile I am fighting the machine, tracing the servo circuits and testing any suspicious component.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation

Hi my friend on Cuba!
I placed a request in 3 forums and placed a request for you
on this site:
https://elektrotanya.com/list_wanted

Please check it in the next weeks if something happens there.
Good luck.

Regards,
TV-collector

Last edited by TV-collector; 09-30-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Good morning to Cuba!

Does this help?
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...00.html#manual

Best regards,
TV-collector
Old 10-01-2021, 03:46 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

WOW that brings back some memories! I'd say replace all the electrolytics on the boards, they're 50 years old now and ready for retirement, you might have a few bad semiconductors in there as well, early generation plastic body transistors had some moisture wicking issues. Good EIAJ machine to really appreciate.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:01 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

What is 4/3 AM radio in Germany? 4:3 aspect PAL television? Never quite understood why PAL used an FM video carrier.

Last edited by ARC Tech-109; 10-01-2021 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:03 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Tech-109 View Post
What is 4/3 AM radio in Germany? 4:3 aspect PAL television? Never quite understood why PAL used an FM video carrier.
Never heard the term "4/3 AM radio," can't help there.

No color TV system used FM for a video (broadcast) carrier.

SECAM used an FM chroma subcarrier.

Analog video tapes use FM modulation for the video signal. In professional formats, the complete composite luma/chroma is carried by the FM. In home formats, the FM carries luma only, while the chroma subcarrier is carried in its native format, heterodyned to a lower frequency, so the luma FM carrier acts as "tape bias." This is called 'chroma under."
Old 10-02-2021, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-collector View Post
Hi my friend on Cuba!
I placed a request in 3 forums and placed a request for you
on this site:
https://elektrotanya.com/list_wanted

Please check it in the next weeks if something happens there.
Good luck.

Regards,
TV-collector
Thank you very much, but the manual they have is for the AV-3600, another model. It is a simpler machine, with the AC motor moving everything (the heads, the capstan and the reels), and it has only a drum servo.

The AV-3650 has a separate DC capstan motor, and one additional capstan servo board. The drum servo works like in the 3600, sending variable DC to a brake coil that acts upon a squirrel cage rotor mounted in the drum shaft. The pulley ratio is such that the free-running drum speed is over the correct value, so the brake coil is always retarding it.

The capstan servo board sends a variable voltage to the DC motor, so the speed is controlled to keep the off-tape signal synced to the input video. So, when one presses Record, there is less disturbance at the edit point.

This was optimistic thinking, because the 3650 has no vertical blanking switcher (can go into Record in the middle of one field) nor rotary erase heads (present in the later color model, AV-8650). So the edits were never perfect, but good enough for industrial-educational use.

Anyway, my machine is not going to edit/record anything, just play back. But now is triyng to break some Guinnes records, running an entire 1-hour tape in 35 minutes flat.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Tech-109 View Post
WOW that brings back some memories! I'd say replace all the electrolytics on the boards, they're 50 years old now and ready for retirement, you might have a few bad semiconductors in there as well, early generation plastic body transistors had some moisture wicking issues. Good EIAJ machine to really appreciate.
Thank you very much.

I agree with you, but recapping an entire 3650 is an enormous task. I´d rather check the waveforms and replace just what has failed. It is not going to be very reliable machine after that, I know some other component may fail afterwards, but she is not going on-air, just will work sporadically when some EIAJ tape surfaces.

I am afraid that the vast majority ot these tapes in Cuba were thrown in the garbage years ago. But I kept have some that I want to play back. They may have recordings of important construction works in the mid-70s and early 80s.
Audiokarma
Old 10-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Retired Batwings Tech

Agreed a re-cap would be a daunting task but do keep in mind that if only the "bad" caps were replaced now the other 50+ year old caps are not far behind in failure and that could take out a few semiconductors along the way. I guess the biggest question is just how valuable the 3650 is and now much effort you want to put into it.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have the service manual for the AV3670CE, which is the CCIR version of the AV3650. Let me know if it could help you.

Last edited by jlb2; 11-02-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb2 View Post
I have the service manual for the AV3670CE, which is the CCIR version of the AV3650. Let me know if it could help you.
Thank you very much, jib2. It sure will be helpful. Surely some parameters will be different (frequencies, time constants) but the overall schematic will be pretty the same.

Do you have it in a digital form? So it can be sent electronically.

Last edited by RJMiranda; 11-15-2021 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Misprint
Old 11-16-2021, 07:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

It is in PDF. If you leave me a PM with your email address, I'll send it to you.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you very much for your kind help, jlb2. I received the service manual, and am sure it will be very useful.

I think the 3670 was the succesor to the 3650, adapted to record and replay the (then) newer high density V-7x tapes. (The 3650 can play back those tapes if the heads are in good condition, and maybe tweaking a little the preamplifier frequency response, but it can not erase nor record on them.)

And of course the CE is the European (CCIR) model.

Having in mind the different field frequencies, the circuit must be very similar.

The next thing to do is to check the differences between the manual and my machine. I hope Sony did not made significant changes in the servo circuit from the 3650, because in the 70s it was a big deal to redesign a production line.

I will keep you posted on my work on the 3650.
Audiokarma