Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM
TV Camera Museum Curator

Corrosion on camera bodies

As some of you may know I have a modest collection of ex broadcast TV cameras as part of the collection at www.tvcameramuseum.org

Some of the cameras, those with the lightweight aluminium/magnesium castings, have corrosion of exposed corners and around fittings. It is that white gooey type, rather like what you see on some discharged batteries, often wet to the touch, but the camera is in good storage and in the dry.

My question is how can I minimise this and/or fix it. I don't want to paint the cameras as this would remove originality or to smear with silicon/Vaseline/oil as these would be sure to migrate to the optics causing damage there.

Has anyone any good suggestions?

The camera pictured is a Philips LDK14 in it's flight case, the picture was taken a couple of years ago and it has deteriorated somewhat since, hence this posting.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ldk14 in flight case 1024.jpg (73.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

White powder

I have never found or heard of that problem, except the Rubber & Pass Filters. I have the White powder problem (But not wet) ! Been asking around and have been told you need to seal the affected area from the air to retard the problem (NAIL POLISH ) .

Last edited by XDCAM; 12-09-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 PM
TV Camera Museum Curator

That's an interesting suggestion, you can get clear nail varnish, I'll give that a try.

The other interesting suggestion I had was to seal the camera in the vacuum bags sold for clothing, bedding, etc? with a pack of silica gel.

They're basically a large zip-lok bag with a valve for attaching your vacuum cleaner hose.

Thanks Brian
Old 03-19-2015, 04:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

This might help with our Cameras too. White rust

Phosphoric Acid brush over infected areas with a stiff brush or Acetic Glycolic and the other Citric Acid which is usually much safer to have around the house. Once the surface has been treated then rinse of with water with a dash of dish-washing liquid is a good as it gets.

http://www.planetdiecast.com/index.p...37455&Itemid=0
Old 03-20-2015, 02:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Bit of a wildcard idea. I wonder if the foam in the flight case is contributing to the corrosion.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

You are right .But I will try anything too save my Cameras .Nobody has found a solution for this yet ! And it still eating the aluminum/magnesium castings of my Camera .

Last edited by XDCAM; 03-20-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Peanut Head

At least it's not the nasty green corrosion that we used to see on 35mm cameras.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

it could be from the dissimilar metals. galvanic corrosion. i'd loosen the screw a turn or two and coat the head with the clear nail polish then tighten it back up before it dries.

Last edited by john f; 03-25-2015 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try some Armor-All Tire Foam. It comes in an aerosol can. Just spray a little on a rag and apply it. That way you can keep it out of places you don't want it to go. Wipe it on, wipe off the excess, and leave it alone for an hour. I think you will be amazed by the results. Try a little at first. This stuff has silicone in it so nothing will stick to it, including paint. If you want to re-paint it, you will shave to strip it off, but I've found that ordinary paint thinner does a good job. Using this stuff is not a permanent fix, but it lasts about 3-4 years. When it starts to look bad, just wash it with water and reapply when dry. It makes plastics and many other finishes look like new.