Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Texas Museum of Broadcasting & Communications

For the last couple of years, I've been working hard to get this museum established. It looks like it is actually going to happen. In the first couple of weeks of November, we will acquire a permanent home in Kilgore, Texas. It is an 18,000 square foot building that was originally a 1950's Chevrolet dealership. It is a very cool building and just a quick walk to antique shops, restaurants and other museums.

Once we get the building, there is a lot to do. Even though it is in pretty good condition, there are numerous issues to address to bring it up to current codes and ADA standards. I'm hoping we can start to open to the public sometime in the late spring of 2016. We will probably start small and grow as we go along. Like Disneyland, it will never be finished. Doing this is going to take a lot of work and a lot of money. Volunteers and donations are always appreciated.

The plan is to have a working TV studio, using vintage gear, at least two working radio studios, as well as a large collection of radio & TV broadcast gear. There will also be a display of vintage radios and TV's. Our 1949 DuMont Telecruiser (TV Mobile Unit) will be one of the featured displays. I hope it will eventually be one of the best museums of its kind in the USA.

Take a look at www.txmbc.org and visit us (and like us) on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/txmbc There is a pretty good video on the web site, courtesy of the TV show, "The Texas Bucket List." You may find it interesting.

Wish me luck.....
Old 10-23-2015, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Fantastic!!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:18 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Wow - a working studio using vintage gear is tremendously ambitious - I wish you all the best in attempting this. Sounds like an exercise similar to CRT rebuilding only maybe worse when it comes to getting working camera tubes and keeping them going.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Wow - a working studio using vintage gear is tremendously ambitious - I wish you all the best in attempting this. Sounds like an exercise similar to CRT rebuilding only maybe worse when it comes to getting working camera tubes and keeping them going.
It may be. The cameras I have in mind are early CCD cameras that take little or no set up. Even those are over 25 years old. I also have several Sarticon and Plumbicon cameras that could be pressed into service. I have spare tubes for those. Using something like a fleet of RCA TK-11's would be cool, but not really practical.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

The best of luck with your museum! I will keep tuned.

Next time I go to Santiago de Cuba I will ask permission to take some stills at the Museo de la Imagen (Image Museum) there, to post in Videokarma. The museum is in a medium-sized house, and it has a lot of gear from the 1950´s to the 80´s. Of course the variety can´t be the same than in a US museum, even a small one. But they have a small OB Van outside. I think it was bought second-hand in the US after some stations switched to color there, and used in Cuba by private TV and later State TV until well into the 60s or maybe 70s.

I keep some old gear at my work place. From EIAJ studio and portable VTRs to UMatics. Whatever was owned by small Cuban production crews that worked for various State institutions at that time. What I lack in my "museum" is Betacam units. Don´t misunderstand me: I have quite a few of them, but not in the "museum". Because I STILL use them daily!
Audiokarma
Old 04-09-2016, 03:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh, I love that building, just the kind of building I need for my museum.....

TV-collector

P.S. Yes, donaters are welcome!
P.S.-2 Yes, I wish you luck from another "stupid".

Last edited by TV-collector; 04-09-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-collector View Post
Oh, I love that building, just the kind of building I need for my museum.....

TV-collector

P.S. Yes, donaters are welcome!
P.S.-2 Yes, I wish you luck from another "stupid".
The building is very cool. It was built in 1949-50 to be a Chevrolet dealership. It is roughly 19,200 square feet, which will wear you out hiking trough all of it. If you are coming to the ETF convention, I'll be making a presentation about the trials and tribulations of getting something like this started. I hope to see you there.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:59 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Good for you!!!!

G00D LUCK
Old 04-12-2016, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Telecruiser!

Sorry, but I don? t see myself ever entering an airport again.
The times have changed.
25 years back it was not easy, but in our days everything is so complecated.
I had always a 7" set with me and called it hand baggage.

I should love to go on air.

Btw. what was left in your Chevy body shop, any 59 Impalas in dark corners?

Regards,
TV-collector

Last edited by TV-collector; 04-12-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-collector View Post
Hi Telecruiser!

Btw. what was left in your Chevy body shop, any 59 Impalas in dark corners?

Regards,
TV-collector
Sorry, but a lot of water went under the bridge since the building was a Chevy dealership. The only things I've found that have anything to do with the original occupant is a very warped yardstick/ruler that says "Center Chevrolet" and some pictures of the dealership's original owner.
Audiokarma
Old 04-14-2016, 07:51 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Hey Telecruiser..

You aren't by chance passing through Dallas on you way to the ETF meet ? I have a 19" Zenith SpacePhone set including the remote, I'd sure like to get to captainmoody.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Hey Telecruiser..

You aren't by chance passing through Dallas on you way to the ETF meet ? I have a 19" Zenith SpacePhone set including the remote, I'd sure like to get to captainmoody.

No, that would be quite a bit out of the way. I'm near Longview & Kilgore. quite a bit east of Dallas.