Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

You could ohm out the heaters... if they are already open they have likely burned out because the tube has gone gassy. Game over.

If they are not open, you could apply 6.3 volts and see if they light up normal brilliance ... if they do, the tube could be good, further testing is necessary.

If they only glow dim and the neck quickly gets hot the tube is likely gassy... a few minutes of this and they likely will blow out. Been there, seen that

Regardless, that is a heckofa good score, congratulations!

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 04-03-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
You could ohm out the heaters... if they are already open they have likely burned out because the tube has gone gassy. Game over.

If they are not open, you could apply 6.3 volts and see if they light up normal brilliance ... if they do, the tube could be good, further testing is necessary.

If they only glow dim and the neck quickly gets hot the tube is likely gassy... a few minutes of this and they likely will blow out. Been there, seen that

Regardless, that is a heckofa good score, congratulations!

jr
That's a good suggestion. I'll try that soon. I can almost guarantee the tube is bad because I just sold a working 15GP22 to another member here before getting this set, thereby ensuring that I would need one myself in the very near future.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Looking For Time

Game over. Just another CTC-2 owner looking for a 15GP22.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Restoring an admiral c322

Nooooooo! I really wanted to see this one in action someday! You'll find another one.

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know the ETF managed to rebuild one... I wonder what hope yours has?
Audiokarma
Old 04-04-2016, 09:46 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

ETF hasn't rebuilt anything (yet), they sent a tube to RACS in France and they rebuilt it.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's what I meant. I wonder if vts' tube can be saved
Old 04-04-2016, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

vts1134... a sad sight indeed.

About RACS... gone, old thread here:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=259552

jr
Old 04-05-2016, 01:42 AM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
That's a good suggestion. I'll try that soon. I can almost guarantee the tube is bad because I just sold a working 15GP22 to another member here before getting this set, thereby ensuring that I would need one myself in the very near future.
Don't fret too much John; you may not have a good 15G, but you do have the $2500 I paid for the good one you sold to me. Some day another good 15G will come along and you can forward my $2500 to the next guy in return for a good 15G for your set.

I am revealing this for all the collector community to digest, because I want anyone who has a good 15G to understand that they have an extremely valuable item, and that if you have one to sell, you should demand a very steep price for it. There are probably 4 times as many sets needing a good 15G as there are good 15Gs to populate those sets.

The scarcity of good 15G's is why they are so valuable. A while back I was criticized on this forum for suggesting that a pristine, fully restored CT100 with a good 15G should be worth upwards of $10K to a deep pocketed collector. It's all about a good 15G crt. Without it, a CT100 is just another old dead tv set not worth terribly much more than any other old non-operational set.

So, if a good 15G is worth $2500 (and yes that is the current market price now which was set by an actual sale), then it stands to reason that an un-restored, potentially operational CT100 with a good 15G is worth a minimum of $4000-$4500. Now add the cost of having it professionally restored. I know of people that get a minimum of $650 just for the chassis restoration. Add another $500 for professional cabinet restoration. We are now somewhere north of $5500. Resale price would be double that. $10K is not ridiculous. If someone has a pristine, fully restored, working CT100 and sells it for far less than it's worth, that is their business. Some day when CT100's with good 15Gs are no longer being un-earthed, the market price of these sets will greatly appreciate.

And if you are a collector with a CT100 in need of a good crt, hoping to get one at a bargain basement price, you can just keep on dreaming! It's not going to happen, because there will always be collectors like myself willing to pay a premium price for a good 15G.

And if you happen to have a good 15G for sale, put it up on ebay with a starting price of $2500, and I will be happy to place the first bid.

With the 15G I just purchased from John, I now have the potential of 2-CT100's, The Moto 16CK1, a GE 15CL100, and a RCA TM-10 monitor, all fully operational some day with good 15Gs.

Some day we may have a working method to re-seal the leaky 15G's. John Folsom and I have a stash of rebuilt 15G gun assemblies ready to install in our duds when we solve the leaking issues. John Yurkon has already proven that the leaks in the weld can be located, and re-welded vacuum tight. (he did it to a leaker 21AX a year ago and it is still holding vacuum and testing excellent) That only leaves us needing a method of sealing the fractures in the glass where the ultor ring is bonded to the faceplate and funnel. We have a plan but we have yet to try it out in practice. It may be several years before we have trials on that issue and there is no guarantee it will be successful.

And until we get to the point where we can rebuild a leaky 15G, we must suffer with the knowledge that the available pool of 15Gs gets smaller and smaller with each available 15G that is found and purchased by a collector in need of it.

Good luck to all 15G hunters!

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com

Last edited by ohohyodafarted; 04-05-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:03 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
vts1134... a sad sight indeed...

jr
Don't fret too much. There are always more out there and I'll keep looking. Optimism and tenacity lead me to this CT-100. I know it will lead me to the CRT that it needs to be whole again, and when it does we'll all see another CT-100 light up on VK .
Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Resident Lunatic

So sorry to see the white getters. Hopefully the efforts of Steve McVoy, Nick Williams, and John Yurkon will make rebuilding the 15GP22 a possibility someday.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Has anyone ever tried to clone a 15GP22? Theoretically it should be possible.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
Has anyone ever tried to clone a 15GP22? Theoretically it should be possible.
The short answer is NO!

Why would anyone even think of doing that? The cost would be so prohibitive that no one could afford to purchase one, least of all the vast majority of UBER FRUGAL television collectors who most of all won't even pay basic market price for a good used 15G. RCA spent many MILLIONS of $ back in 1954 just to procuce about 5000 15Gs

Old 04-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
Don't fret too much. There are always more out there and I'll keep looking. Optimism and tenacity lead me to this CT-100. I know it will lead me to the CRT that it needs to be whole again, and when it does we'll all see another CT-100 light up on VK .

That's the spirit John! I found my first 15G about 10 years ago. A NOS still in the box. Took 10 more years to get the one you just sold me that will go into my GE set. But if we are lucky maybe our attempts to rebuild will some day pay off and then there will be a few more to choose from. MOre likely than not, you may find a CT100 that has a usable tube, rather than a lose tube for sale.

Hope to see you at convention!

Old 04-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I thought that the way the phosphors were deposited on the screen of the 15G was something that couldn't be reproduced, PERIOD. Or at least not w/o laying down some BIG-TIME moolah..