Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

which tv is better Sharp LC-80UH30U or Vizio M80-C3

thinking about buying a new tv

& what to know which one is better

the Sharp LC-80UH30U or Vizio M80-C3

and is it worth buying a warranty

and is 4k worth getting
Old 12-18-2015, 09:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

I myself don't recommend anything "new" or "digital" but with today's devices requiring something 1080 and above, it leaves little choice. I use a ps3 and a ps4 so I need something. I have the 4k LG and it's just fine. I used to own 2 of those Sharps, and they were the Aquos Quattron 3D sets. 4 color red, green, blue, yellow. Damn fine sets. Didn't need them at the time, and was in the middle of a move anyway. I know nothing of Vizio except that I've heard they have sold pretty well. They haven't been around as long as Sharp. The Sharp sets performed without issue. Seemed about as reliable as anything else.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Vizio. If you can buy it from Costco even better - they give a 90 day return policy and free second year on the warranty.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Administrator

This question would probably get more response posted in the Audiokarma Home Theater forum.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
Vizio. If you can buy it from Costco even better - they give a 90 day return policy and free second year on the warranty.
Just try to get a service manual from Vizio - like trying to find hen's teeth.....

My neighbor just shotgunned his Vizio, with parts from Vizio - it took 3 boards to fix his 3D set - a power supply, main/tuner, and an inverter board. Ouch - but he makes 6 figures in retirement, and wanted to tackle it on his own.

That said, I had a 32" Vizio "dumb" set - it lasted 5+ years, and developed a bad panel. I didn't get to try to fix it - the ex trashed it and bought a Sanyo.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 12-18-2015, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

You couldn't give mw a Vizio. Where the hell were they when Rca and Zenith were the kings? I always go with things I've dealt with before and know I can trust.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

So in my opinion, yes 4k is worth getting. So is the service agreement. Samsung is probably higher build quality, Vizio more cost-effective. I just prematurely retired a Vizio 1080i set. I'm not going to have it professionally repaired, but I would if I got the agreement last time.

Chip
Old 12-18-2015, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

You guys need to take look at Vizio's latest offerings, I'm very impressed. The E series gives a lot of value for the money, and the M series 4k is an impressive performer.

Vizio is the only American owned TV company, they design their sets and Foxconn and AmTran assemble them. I had 2 Vizios in the house, now I have 3 after the panel in my 6 month old Sony went bad....that's another story and another thread I will update after that ordeal is complete.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

re: dishdude's comment...

I neglected to add that the 4k I bought was the Vizio M series, plus a service plan (whatever Amazon was offering at the time.) So, cost effective plus a backup plan. It still my bite me in the butt, but it's 1/10 the cost of the first 55" Hitachi not-even-full-HD plasma we bought over 10 years ago(?)... which, of course still works great hanging on the wall down at the local makerspace.

Chip
Old 12-19-2015, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've never heard anyone grumbling about Visio sets. Everyone I've seen seems to work very well.
The McDonalds in my area has six of them, on all the time.
The tire shop, where they do my auto maintenance, has one in the waiting area, that has a great picture, as well. It receives some kind of satellite service from Goodyear tire, must be 1080i or better. Must be two years or so.
Audiokarma
Old 12-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Visio sets have had a better than average record for reliability. No one grumbles about them.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

The one thing I can mention about the Vizio M 4k in comparison with the previous Vizio 1080i set is that, when viewing off-axis at about 45 degrees, color is washed out. Looks like brightness is overcranked. Move another 10 degrees, and it looks great -- nicely saturated colors. Move the chair, all is good. We're changing up the whole room after the holidays, so not an ongoing concern.

Chip
Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
The one thing I can mention about the Vizio M 4k in comparison with the previous Vizio 1080i set is that, when viewing off-axis at about 45 degrees, color is washed out. Looks like brightness is overcranked. Move another 10 degrees, and it looks great -- nicely saturated colors. Move the chair, all is good. We're changing up the whole room after the holidays, so not an ongoing concern.

Chip
Shouldn't have to go through all that for a tv. I have the LG 4k and I don't have that problem. If I did, you watch how fast it would go back. I'm not a big fan of flat tvs so it had better do what it's supposed to.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fortunately, moving the chair doesn't qualify as "go(ing) through all that", plus it counts as exercise for the year ahead!

The room the set is migrating to in a month won't have any out-of-range seating options, so no worries. If it lasts long enough for the next bigger thing, it will become a 4-machine computer monitor, with an appropriate viewing distance.

Chip
(My New Year's Resolution is 4k.)
Old 01-12-2016, 04:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

With the price you pay for sets these days, I don't see room for error. My last tv was $3100 and performed top flight. If it had one pixel out, it would have went back. I'd connect my computer up to my 4k set but I still need to get a vga cable yet. I'm probably going to use a 32" Lcd for my computer eventually.
Audiokarma