Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I checked and she doesn't have any travel plans tomorrow. In all fairness she saw it and thought it was nice. She did not say no (as if that would have mattered), she did however remind me of that $426.00 ,ouch, utillity bill we got today anyway. Guess I will have to pass on it. It is hard though. Good luck, if no one snipes you will get a very nice set.
Bill R
Old 01-30-2005, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well.... I won! Had to pay a tad more than I wanted as someone tried to snipe, but this was such a nice looking set I HAD to get it. I already called the owner and made arrangements for pick-up. I will post chassis and screen pix once I get it set up here.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:52 PM
On Land

Man, that's great! That set's gonna look great in your living room! So you had to pay a little more than you wanted... that's okay... considering how that set looks, it was worth it! Besides... how often would you come across something like that in it's condition? After all... you're still paying far less that what that set sold for back in the 60's.

Congradulations! You'll really enjoy that set!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66
Well.... I won! Had to pay a tad more than I wanted as someone tried to snipe, but this was such a nice looking set I HAD to get it.
Cool!! so glad it was an AK'er that got it. You'll forget all about what it cost as soon as you get it home.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello Everybody! I made it back from my trip to Little Rock, Arkansas to get this set. It was a total of 1450 miles. Got it all set up and picture is great. Took the back off to have a look and it has an RCA Hi-Lite Grade AA Black Matrix tube dated 1977. On the card was hand written "Replaced under RCA service contract." Flyback has been changed as well! I am so happy I won this set and will post pix of it at my house soon.
Audiokarma
Old 02-06-2005, 08:14 PM
On Land

Man that's great! Aren't the Blk Matrix tubes supposed to have far superior contrast over the original roundies? I wonder how long those people had that service contract for?

Did you get any history or story behind it?

Old 02-06-2005, 09:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

yes. Black matrix tubes have better contrast and the color seems "truer" All Zenith Chromacolor tubes are Black Matrix and that's why they have such a good picture. The tube in this set (RCA Highlite) is black matrix as well and was an all new tube when installed. Not a rebuild. Don't know much on the history on this set. The guy I bought it from purchased it at an estate sale in the "rich" part of town in Little Rock. He said they had a new set as well, but this one was still plugged in and he was surprised when he turned it on that it still worked. This set is a CTC-16 chassis, which was one of my favorite sets. He did not want to sell it, but he is moving to a smaller place in the summer and they are downsizing and selling a ton of stuff. He was really nice, and for those of you that have never been there, Arkansas is a beautiful state. I was impressed. The seller said he had gotten an email from someone in Maryland, that said if the deal fell thru with me he was set to come get it. I wonder if it was another AK'er? I'm happy all worked out and this is such a nice set. It is staying with me!
Old 02-13-2005, 07:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pictures of my RCA CTC - 16

Here are the picture of the set once I got it home.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Picture 3 of RCA

Here is the 3rd Picture of the RCA
Old 02-13-2005, 08:13 PM
On Land

Man that set is absolutley freakin awesome!

Audiokarma
Old 02-15-2005, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank's Charlie! I like the look of the cabinet. The set came with all the papers including the hang tag. Here are the features RCA was boasting with this set. All Channel Operation Automatic color Purifier Power boosted New Vista Color Chassis with 25,000 volts of picture power Famous New Vista Color Picture Performance All-Range tone control Glare proof, dust proof picture tube Easy, Accurate tuning Twin-speaker Golden Throat static-free FM sound RCA Space Age sealed Circuitry Dependability and ease of service. I discovered when I took the back off, that this set had been covered under an RCA service contract. ALL parts were RCA branded including the tubes. It had a new Grade AA Colorama picture tube installed in 1977, and the high-voltage can was spotless with a new flyback. This set has HEAVY use tho. The screw holes are about stripped in the back (that was a clue my Uncle taught me) It meant the back had been off a zillion times. The chassis is pretty dusty, and I went ahead and replaced 8 bad tubes. (all RCA brands) The set has a great picture but can be quirky at times. I've had it on almost non-stop tho since I got it home. I have already ordered a spare flyback and focus control and just ordered a Sams on it. This set has a CTC-16L chassis, so I assume it's an early production run. It uses a 1V2 focus tube rather than the 2AV2 I've seen in CTC16's.