Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

New Flybacks for CTC-4

Have you guys check out the guy that is making his own Flybacks for an RCA CTC-4? If you have not this is the link, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:EF:US:1
Would not the flybacks be expense to make? Also I wonder if he is going to make some for other models.

Ross
Old 02-11-2005, 06:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I don't think I would use this thing! I am not sure what it is made from but it really does not look professional. Plus this is just the coil...you would have to disassemble the old flyback to put it on the core.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, THAT sure is different! I guess if you really needed one (there can't be too many good used or NOS out there?) this would be worth trying. I think I would want a good agreement with the seller that if it didn't work he would take it back. Wonder what the reserve is? If this works, I guess the seller (or someone) could easily just rebuild old flybacks, including the core,etc.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

The seller says he makes other types too. I'm getting details.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:57 AM
heathkit tv

I applaud the effort the guy has gone thru to make this, but the execution resembles a rejected ashtray made at one of those schools for "special children"

Anthony
Audiokarma
Old 02-12-2005, 05:12 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Well, regardless of what it _looks_ like, if it works, it works. He mentions that the HV compound was applied by hand, and it shows - but there's nothing in the functional specifications that say that the HV compound has to look good too. As long as the coil is well made, and wound properly, the only reason the potting compound is there is to keep everything nice and together, and prevent possible arcing. Something tells me that it's not easy painting a good, even coat on a doughnut shaped coil. Also, the lack of a core is not that big a deal, and makes sense too. If these are homemade, it's going to be hella hard to make an identical (or compatible) iron core and mounting assembly, but if you're replacing a fried flyback, it shouldn't be that big a deal to dismantle the old one and replace the coil on it. It's pretty rare that the core of a flyback should fail...

So, I think it's great that these parts are available, especially seeming as though a flyback is one of the big "make it or break it" parts for many televisions - hard to find and easy to fail. This part is probably just as good, if not better than the original part - I mean, he used actual HV putty, many old flybacks were coated in wax! Also, there's the other advantage as this is a new part, it hasn't been sitting, buzzing away in the back of a television, running at some off-spec input voltage, crammed in there with a bunch of hot tubes and failing capacitors, slowly breaking down the insulation in the windings.

-Ian
Old 02-16-2005, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I cant even make a simple car SMPS transformer that works properly with only 6 windings, more or less make a flyback with thousands of turns.

give the guy credit, if it works, its way beyond my ability.

i would be like, What number of turns was that again? oh crap. rewind.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:36 PM
A guy with too many tubes

Local guy (NW Ohio) has boxes of NOS flybacks and other TV parts. I passed on the lot, but can pass on info if desired. He wants to sell NOW.

deHavilland UltraVerve+Aries 845; L. Moore UltraFi Monaco
Tannoy GRF-R, DMT15; '52 Jensen Imperials+JBL LE15B; JBL 2226+2441+Edgar, Yuichi horns