Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs up Great Thread.

Lately, I have been buying up all of the Panasonic PV-8661 VHS VCRs I can find. They are some of the last to be made in Japan, and while they are later plastic cased machines, they are repairable and still of a pretty high quality build.

Of the "real" battleship VHS decks, my personal tape collection has been played on 80s JVCs for many years now. they are typically heavy and solid with a fantastic picture. I've even installed a new head unit on a HR-7100 just because I wanted to save it! Not exactly cost-effective, but it had the original wired remote and manuals, so I minted it out. I use it on my Blonder-Tongue over air analog setup.

What I find interesting is how some of the very last VHS decks can really have superior pix quality (due to the addition of VHS-HQ standard with better luminance extension, and the smaller headgap of 19-micron head), but the build quality is that of a toy. Zero (or near zero) reliability of the mechs in the 2000s decks. So, some of the 90s stuff is the best of both for me.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
Lately, I have been buying up all of the Panasonic PV-8661 VHS VCRs I can find. They are some of the last to be made in Japan, and while they are later plastic cased machines, they are repairable and still of a pretty high quality build.
This one was a 1998 year model. The last and final Panasonic VCRs made in Japan was in year 2000, models PV-V4520, PV-V4540, PV-V4620, PV-V4640, PV-V4660, and PV-VS4820.

Last edited by waltchan; 08-21-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
What I find interesting is how some of the very last VHS decks can really have superior pix quality (due to the addition of VHS-HQ standard with better luminance extension, and the smaller headgap of 19-micron head), but the build quality is that of a toy. Zero (or near zero) reliability of the mechs in the 2000s decks. So, some of the 90s stuff is the best of both for me.
I have a 2008 Sony VHS+DVD combo machine. Does not say "SQPB" on the faceplate, but the manual says it plays SVHS tapes. The tape deck works, but the DVD does not, which to me is surprising, I expected the opposite. So, I guess, optical drives had become even more throwaway designs by the late 2000s than tape decks.