Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog Beltmann View Post
If power supply checks ok don't overlook the trace/retrace SCRs
And if you find a shorted SCR, carefully check the reactance transformer connections on the back side of the board or cracks in the board traces from mishandling. I remember we had one brand new out of the box that had a cracked sweep board.

Also, the sockets themselves could get iffy after many years and hours. Flush them thoroughly with a circuit board cleaner and re-pinch the pins with a sharp awl.

John

Last edited by JohnCT; 12-17-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

If it is cracked, then what? I doubt there's a replacement after this long 😔
Old 12-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
If it is cracked, then what? I doubt there's a replacement after this long 😔
Cracks in PWB's I have fixed with super glue, solder-bridge the board traces using 18-20 ga/ solid copper wire. While these were pretty good when new, they always responded well to simply cleaning module sockets and controls, looking for solder issues usually turned up a few broken joints under heavy parts like pincushion transformers, etc.

I have modules for this XL-100 series. I scrapped a few back in the day but only with good cause like a broken CRT. Moyer's Electronics still has a surprising number of RCA parts too.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Awesome, I'll keep in mind.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
Restoration begun on this set. I've managed to get the entire outside done. Now if I can ever get inside and begin with repairs.
Good luck. I hope you get that TV working as normal, as they were good sets and make excellent pictures when they are working as they should. Get yours working as normal and you will have one excellent TV; they don't make 'em like that anymore. When I was in high school 48 years ago (!), I was on the AV crew. Our closed-circuit TV setup had one RCA color monitor, 21-inch if I recall correctly, with the new RCA logo, not the old round one (for our school's CCTV system, we had Sony VTRs and modulators on channels 2, 4, 6 and 7, between locals 3, 5 and 8. We used old Sony 5-inch b&w TVs as monitors for two channels (4 and 6), with a 19" Zenith b&w for channel 2; channel 7 was our one and only color channel, which we began using in my senior year. Don't know what's in use there today; probably flat screens.

Ah, yes, those were the days.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-20-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-20-2020, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Good luck. I hope you get that TV working as normal, as they were good sets and make excellent pictures when they are working as they should. Get yours working as normal and you will have one excellent TV; they don't make 'em like that anymore. When I was in high school, I was on the AV crew. Our video setup had one RCA color monitor, 21-inch if I recall correctly, with the new RCA logo, not the old round one (for our school's CCTV system, we had Sony VTRs and modulators on channels 2, 4, 6 and 7, between locals 3,5 and 8; channel 7 was our one and only color channel, which we began using in my senior year).
Awesome. Ill do my best. I want to use it with my rca selectavision units and ced discs when done.