Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

P & M session

OK its time to piss & moan..........
Got an '18 Silverado a month ago. Today while doing errands the
touch screen gave me a message. WARNING !
I tried to read it but couldnt so I fumbled around for reading glasses
& tried again while weaving around at 65 MPH on an uncontrolled
road. I still cant quite read it so I pulled into an ice cream joint.
Message was ( dont remember exact wording ).

WARNING !
Reading & using the touch screen while driving is dangerous !............

WTF ????, Anyone else see the pure stupidity in this ?

BTW I had to call the dealer just to play a CD & still havnt figured out
how to get into AM radio without doing it by accident in 5 mn of poking.
I bet if they sold cars without this CRAP many would pay extra NOT to
have it. At least I would have spent another kilobuck to have normal controls.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 12-13-2018, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Priceless!

An 84 year old friend of mine asked me to come and pick up a new car he had bought. It took us 15 minutes in the parking lot of the dealer to make the damn SHUT UP! It was insisting on giving us a "tour". Awful. And as you said, using the radio involves a lot of screen pressing and cussing. I'd pay extra to get rid of that crap for sure.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:40 PM
M is for Memory

These are the stories that make me glad my vehicles are 16 and 40 years old.... with some of the crap I've heard about driver assist it makes me think that if I ever get a new car I'm going to have some fuse pulling to do to make it acceptable... Maybe I should add aftermarket stereo to the list.

About 2 years ago at the place I worked then I was at a training course and the youngest guy in the room and the person speaking goes you all have smartphones right show of hands...(I'm the only one without one) you all have seen how cars integrate with smartphones and have computers built in to the dash... nope newest car I'd ridden in was a 2011 Honda... y'all R talking about sci-fi majicks.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 12-13-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Infotainment systems is one of the many reasons I hate new cars. Not to mention chop-top windows, massive a, b and c pillars for """"""""safety"""""""", generally terrible styling (subjective), enormous rims and low pro tires on EVERYTHING, Pickup trucks that you have to lift the cab off the frame to change the spark plugs (I'm looking at you Ford), lasers for headlights, drive by wire...........
Old 12-13-2018, 05:36 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

The entertainment/nav on my 2013 Mustang is nicely intutive; don't know what the current ones are like; but I've had some rental cars (other makes) that drove me crazy just trying to tune the radio.
Audiokarma
Old 12-13-2018, 11:36 PM
The Resident Brony

I mean... you could just learn how to operate the radio.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

In front of me is a Yeasu FT1000D transeiver.
https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0275.html
It has 56 buttons & 22 knobs. There are more on the back, mic, SPKR,
& through a door on top I didnt count.
It is easy to learn run. A car radio should be too. Why not a AM-FM-CD
switch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
I mean... you could just learn how to operate the radio.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:21 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
lasers for headlights,.....
OMG don't get me started on that... there's nothing worse than flashing a passing car that you think has very bright high beams on only to find out that those were the LOW beams by getting flashed back with total blindness inducing High beams....those damn over bright head lamps should be illeagal.... it has gotten so bad that part of me feels like getting a .22 and aiming for the light.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
OMG don't get me started on that... there's nothing worse than flashing a passing car that you think has very bright high beams on only to find out that those were the LOW beams by getting flashed back with total blindness inducing High beams....those damn over bright head lamps should be illeagal.... it has gotten so bad that part of me feels like getting a .22 and aiming for the light.
I see I'm not the only one bothered by this. It's almost ruined night driving for me. Only solution is if you can't beat them, join them... Big tall SUV with auto dimming mirrors. I can't speak for you but for me that's not ever happening, so P&M is where it's at.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah night time driving is awful because the headlights, I dd a miata so I'm low to the ground, but even in my big 4x4 Dodge truck I still find the headlights annoying.

that's one of the things I miss about my prizm is it had (illegal) window tint all around.

I might grab me some of those Hunter S. Thompson night time driving shades next time I'm at Wally world, before I do limo tint in all my cars
Audiokarma
Old 12-14-2018, 02:29 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
I see I'm not the only one bothered by this. It's almost ruined night driving for me. Only solution is if you can't beat them, join them... Big tall SUV with auto dimming mirrors. I can't speak for you but for me that's not ever happening, so P&M is where it's at.
My winter car/fuel saver/ Tv getter is a 02 suburban with auto dimming mirror, and I still occasionally get bothered by drivers behind me (thought about installing a rear firing spot lamp for that)... at least you can ignore your mirrors and or haull ass away from folks behind you.... but oncoming traffic especially on the winding roads here is harder to deal with unless you like stairing out the passenger window and steering by feeling for the gravel shoulder or the front of the car blinding you...

Old 12-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I saw a video fairly recently on the pitfalls of new cars, the "infotainment" system being one of them. One may as well be learning a whole new operating system when dealing with those things, I don't think anything about them is standardized.

I recall riding in someone's late-model piece of crap and wondering "where's the bloody ignition key?" The owner uses a USB stick with the stereo and brags about how many songs it can hold. Mom seemed impressed by it but I was thinking something like "Yeah, so?"

I just modded an AM-FM-8 track car stereo for use as my computer's sound system, sounds pretty good too. I didn't want to permanently modify the stereo's case so I gutted and cut down a bad VHF tuner; I thought it ideal as it already had RCA jacks and the hole in the back fit perfectly over the volume control shaft. A micro-mini DPDT switch fit nicely between the stereo's case and the attachment. As for power I just tapped the 12V rail in my computer.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 PM
Peanut Head

Luckily, my '10 Focus radio is fairly easy to use. It has USB/CD/FM/AM/Sirius.
The car at this point has less than 10k on it....so I intend to keep it for awhile.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've never owned anything new enough to have such a "stereo" though we've rented some. The good thing is I never had the notion to listen to the radio while I had them. One of my daily annoyances at work is that I have to obtain, if at all possible, the odometer readings from all the vehicles I look at. Some electronic odometers are great (most Chrysler products & many newer models from everyone else are automatic when you open the door). On some GM models I have no idea whatsoever how to access it. Earlier this week I was trying to extract this simple bit of information from a 3 year old Explorer. The only thing I accomplished was to have the radio suddenly turn on full blast. Phooey!

As for me, I like knobs...something I can grab. Um...I mean, on the radio
Old 12-15-2018, 04:00 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Some electronic odometers are great (most Chrysler products & many newer models from everyone else are automatic when you open the door).
Chrysler has always been good about that. That feature dates back to the late 80s, with any of their cars that had the digital instruments - open the driver's door, and the odometer wakes up. So far as I can tell, they've kept that nice feature. Most other cars with digital odometer readings aren't as thoughtfully designed, sadly.
Audiokarma