Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'll second Anthony- I used to hear the damn things, too. Never made me "sick", but some of 'em would cause me to exit whatever room they were in. High-pitched whine, kinda like a mosquito. Annoying as all get-out. I got told it was all in my head, too, mainly by older folks who really COULDN'T hear it.-Sandy G.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:05 PM
AK Member

Repair estimate

I called a Zenith TV shop around in town since the 60s. Asked if anyone still repaired a 30 year old model. He says he hasn't in some time but his fix to the flybak squeel would be some 5 minute epoxy to secure whatever is vibrating, his estimate....about 40 bucks. How can I find the flybak and verify that it is what is making thw noise. Would the epoxy cause any long term problems in repairing down the road?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't know if I would suspect mechanical flyback vibration just yet. Does the picture seem stable? Do you see jittering in the picture when you hear the noise? If so, then yes, you do have a vibrating flyback or you have HV leakage somewhere within the HV cage (the metal compartment on the right side of the chassis). Id be willing to bet you have a microphonic horizontal output tube. Some sets will make an unusual loud ringing noise when the elements in the horizontal output tube are loose. That set uses a 6LB6 horizontal output tube. Loose elements will vibrate at the horizontal sweep frequency and cause some weirdo sounds that are quite loud. Ive experience it before on my 20X1C38 console. The sound will change pitch and sometimes go away for a moment. This symptom will not cause picture jittering or distortion. While the set is on, take the eraser end of a pencil and tap the 6LB6 and see if you have any change in pitch. You can also take the tube out of the set and tap it and listen for loose elements. You will hear alot of ringing and jittering if the tube is bad (all tubes have this to a certian extent but some are alot worse than others) I have found RCA horizontal outputs to be worse than any other brand for this problem. I mainly only use GE, Sylvania or Zenith replacement tubes in all my sets.
But like I say, first check to make sure you don't have any picture jittering accompanying the sound, as mechanical vibration will almost always be noted on the screen. (picture jittering on the screen caused by flyback or HV leakage is called "piecrust effect" as a round shape will look like a pie crust if the problem exists)

Last edited by drh4683; 01-17-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:11 PM
AK Member

Pic is stable

I don't notice any change in the picture when I hear the noise. The noise doesn't really come and go. It is usually there but sometimes fades a bit and then intensifies a bit. As there is a tube layout attached inside the unit I'll try to check the tube. Maybe I'll look for a replacement tube.

thanks

Ken
Old 01-18-2005, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Definitly sounds like the horiz. output tube causing the sounds from your last description. Check ebay for a 6LB6.
Doug
Audiokarma
Old 01-30-2005, 09:57 AM
AK Member

checked the tube

Or at least I think it was the 6lb6. I took the tube out and it does have a rattle when I shake it near my ear. Sounds like a burnt out light bulb. I can't see anything inside though. I do notice that not all the pins are connected. I can't verify which tube is which though as there are only zenith #s on them and the schematics is new to me. I put it bak in and it seems ok....for now.

From earlier threads it would seem that the flyback would have some affect on the picture. The picture seems fine whenever the noise is there or not. In fact the pic is as good as any of the "new" TVs I have.