Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does anyone here collect small appliances?

I collect small appliances, mostly electric fans. I have a few vacuum cleaners also.

Lately I've been interested in old mixers, particularly stand models. I really like the Sunbeam Mixmasters. I've got a harvest gold one from the 70s. Yesterday I went to Goodwill and saw a newer red and black model, that looked like it never been used, so I picked it up. I probably shouldn't have but I mostly wanted it for comparison reasons.

I like the KitchenAids too, but never had one. I do have a KitchenAid blender though. I also like the old Osterizer blenders, and newer ones too but don't have any.

But a lot of the small kitchen appliances and power tools interest me.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:37 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Vacuum cleaners you say?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0784.jpg (95.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-08-2018, 05:13 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I have two old air conditioners and will likely get more as I can find them. Only the older ones are powerful enough to keep me comfortable anyway.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Small novelty home electronics, I guess.
I got odds and ends ranging from a Westinghouse pant hemm press to the Mastervoice Butler in a Box, which I guess you could call the 80's version of Alexa.

Working with TV's and old computers, I realized once I got a twin tub washing machine that this house could run out of space really, really fast.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:09 PM
The Resident Brony

I wouldn't say that I collect them, but yeah, I have a few. I have 2 old fans, a manual toaster, a waffle iron, a host of clothing irons, a 1950s Roper stove, a wringer washing machine, 50s Admiral refrigerator, and a 1938 vacuum that I'm currently restoring (procrastinating).

>_>
Ok, ok, geez, I guess I do collect appliances.

Not to mention all the rest of my crap.
Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 PM
M is for Memory

When I was a kid I used to voraciously collect fans 1960's and older, and old Vacuums (probably because of the movie The Brave Little Toaster), also rotary phones and a chrome toaster. Dumped all the vacuums (except an OLD Kirby) by the time I was 10 years old. Now vintage vacuums have been slowly creeping back into my collection...Got another toaster too.
When I have my own house things like vintage fridges and washing machines may become practical to keep...Presently (quoting W.C. Fields) "to me they are like elephants; I like to look at 'em, but wouldn't want to own one."

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-09-2018, 10:09 AM
BigDavesTV

Ever since I was very young, I have always enjoyed electric fans, and odd lamps, lighting fixtures, light bulbs and old electric clocks. I have a little collection of each of those things, most of which are actually in use. Also, old radios, televisions and older test equipment, and some older stereo equipment.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 AM
I love old stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Vacuum cleaners you say?
Not even in stores you don't see so much vacuum cleaners per sqare meter.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I wouldn't say I collect them, but most of my small appliances are at least 40 years old. They look better, and usually work better than the modern equivalent. Items include a Hoover Constellation, Amana, Radarange, various vintage fans, a couple of toasters, and more.

You don't see many old air conditioners in TX because they get so much use that they don't last long. With our long summers, you wouldn't want to pay for the extra electric anyway.

Old air conditioners aren't necessarily as noisy as their reputation. When I was visiting family in the north last summer, the old (1980s or 90's) air conditioner in the guest room was so quiet, I didn't think it was working until the air started to get cold! The fan was very quiet, with no rattles, and I couldn't even tell if the compressor was running.
Air conditioning vs heating is some kind of a trade-off. You wouldn't want the heating bills here, especially this winter. It seems like it's never ending. Heavy snow, this April 15.
Audiokarma
Old 04-17-2018, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Vacuum cleaners you say?
Great Kirby collection. I have several myself.

Back in the late 1950s, my dad sold Kirbys. I have a model 516 that he got back then.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a stand mixers (40's or 50's from GE, Hamilton-Beach, Sunbeam, Universal), a Hotpoint waffle iron that I believe dates from the early 20's, a 30's Kenmore upright vacuum & a variety of handhelds (Hoover, GE, Royal, Westinghouse). Also have a Silex juicer. Got rid of all the toasters. My wife always lists off all this stuff when telling me I collect too many things; slowly it's being sold off. Many of these still see occasional use.