Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:52 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Yeah, I know that feeling, I had recently acquired an old Philco Townhouse TV from a local antique shop for $15 and I was wanting to restore it back to usable condition again but it turns out it might of been a little more than I could handle because the 'dag was coming off the back of the picture tube and the vertical oscillator is running at 30 hz instead of 60 hz causing the picture to be doubled ontop of itself and that's because there are some bad capacitors or something in the Vertical stage of the TV and it seems that it might be a little tricky to try and get to those caps to replace them besides them being rated at 1kV. Anyways I had acquired from Goodwill earlier this year a 1960s vintage Sony B & W Portable TV from the salvage and also a 1980s vintage Montgomery Wards 5" Portable Color TV that still works like new and all I had to do to it was readjust the picture adjustments in the back because the picture was kind of dark.
You could have that philco running with under $30 in parts, and a little effort.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You could have that philco running with under $30 in parts, and a little effort.
Yes but the only problem is that the UHF Tuner is busted on the TV because one of the tuner's drive gears (which was plastic on metal) split in two and I couldn't glue it back together and the only way I could fix the tuner is to get that gear off of an old Philco Predicta from the same time period that also had UHF (because the Philco Predictas used the same type of UHF Tuner assemblies as the Philco Townhouses did). but as we all know Philco Predictas are few and far between when it comes to finding them and when you do find them (even parts units) they can run into the hundreds of dollars which I can't afford.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:02 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Yes but the only problem is that the UHF Tuner is busted on the TV because one of the tuner's drive gears (which was plastic on metal) split in two and I couldn't glue it back together and the only way I could fix the tuner is to get that gear off of an old Philco Predicta from the same time period that also had UHF (because the Philco Predictas used the same type of UHF Tuner assemblies as the Philco Townhouses did). but as we all know Philco Predictas are few and far between when it comes to finding them and when you do find them (even parts units) they can run into the hundreds of dollars which I can't afford.
Just feed it a VHF channel and ignore the UHF....If the sun roof on your car refuses to open, but all else is good would you let that stop you from commuting to work in that car or keeping up with oil changes? Hell with no UHF on the air and no analog cable I have not even bothered trying to check if the UHF could work on some of my sets because it's existence is superfluous.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Just feed it a VHF channel and ignore the UHF....If the sun roof on your car refuses to open, but all else is good would you let that stop you from commuting to work in that car or keeping up with oil changes? Hell with no UHF on the air and no analog cable I have not even bothered trying to check if the UHF could work on some of my sets because it's existence is superfluous.
I guess, but I would of figured that maybe with that UHF Tuning knob being functional would of been part of the value of that TV set but I see your point too seeing as we no longer have analog TV signals to feed it it really makes no sense to use it anymore.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Banned

OK so an update on the VCR that this thread was initially about, I was able to locate some belts for this thing but now the VCR isn't wanting to start up properly, I go and turn on the power button and the VCR will act like its trying to go through its "POST" test but all it ends up doing is just powering on the video head and spinning that up for about 30 seconds and that's it then it shuts off because for some reason or another the the loading mechanism doesnt do its power on test like its supposed to it just sits there and does nothing while the video head drum does its self test and that's it. Anyways I have the issue traced down to the mode switch not being set right in reference to the tape loading mechanism's loading cam gear (the loading mechanism that brings the tape up to the heads when you push play) and I can't seem to figure out which position on the mode switch/loading mechanism cam is supposed to be stop (which I think is what the mode switch is supposed to be set at when the VCR is powered on with no tape in it) anyways the mode switch not being set right is the only thing keeping this VCR from functioning properly, because the loading mechanism isn't timed right currently in reference to the mode switch and where its supposed to be and because of that its not allowing the VCR to power on properly. The reason why the mode switch is messed up is because I had to take the tape loading mechanism's motor and cam assembly out of the cabinet in order to get the old belt out and install the new belt (because before that the VCR powered on like it was supposed to just fine it just didn't load and play tapes properly because of stretched belts) but anyways since I didn't have a service manual for this particular VCR I was just kind of guessing about how the VCR's tape loading mechanism went back together by just going by memory of how it was put together previously but apparently my memory was a little faulty because now the VCR doesn't power up properly anymore and because of that I can't tell if the belts I got the VCR had fixed the loading and playback function on the VCR. Any ideas as to how I might go about resetting/retiming the mode switch with the tape loading mechanism cam gear assembly? Any help would be appreciated.
Audiokarma
Old 04-10-2017, 02:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
I worked on four of that model in the late 90's but they all had power supply problems. Sorry...
These VCRs were secretly assembled by Samsung for Toshiba during the early-90s. It bagan in 1988 for some mono models, despite they may look all Toshiba-designed inside.