Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2010, 01:06 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
So much is owned by Entercomm and Clear Channel in N.O. it's a lot of the same automated crap. We have an extraordinary number of stations for our market size, but not much variety:

Religious or Gospel: 600, 750, 800, 940, 1010, 1060, 1280,
Sports Talk: 690, 870, 990, 1350, 1560
Hispanic: 830, 1540
News or Talk: 690, 870, 990, 1230
Radio Disney: 1450

A station in Franklinton, WOMN 1100 has filed a construction permit to move to my town, Chalmette. Currently they play classic country I think. Don't think that's what they'll market to New Orleans though.
I just looked at the listing on RadioLocator.com for WOMN, and found that the construction permit is for a 50kW daytime signal, lower power and three different signal patterns -- one pattern for use from sunrise to sundown, the second for sundown to sunrise and the third for critical hours (two hours before local sunrise and two hours before local sunset). If that station moves to Chalmette (they'd better hurry if they intend to make the move, as the CP expires some time next year) you will get more signal from it than you'd ever need, which might play heck with your cable TV (although the cable company would probably put a trap in the main feed to your house to filter out the AM station's signal). I lived in the Cleveland suburb of Cleveland Heights for three years in the early 1970s. There was an FM radio station on the next street over from me (which also happened to be the main street of town) whose towers were visible from my bedroom window at night, when the red signal lights were on. Anyway, that station got into my TV on channel 6 (the station's carrier frequency was 92.3 MHz, but the signal was so strong it just blasted its way into the TV tuner -- very strong RF signals have a bad habit of pulling this trick if you are very near a powerful transmitter). The signal also came in beautifully on a stereo FM radio I had, not only on its fundamental frequency, but between every other local Cleveland FM station as well. I tried putting a small carbon resistor in the antenna line, hoping to attenuate the signal somewhat so it wouldn't cover the entire dial; no luck--the signal was just too strong (the station ran 27.5 kW ERP and the antenna [only one tower], as I said, was just about a third of a mile or less from where I was living at the time). The only way I was able to get rid of this nuisance was when we moved three years later, in 1975. The signal was also strong enough to get into the audio amplifier stages in my dad's Ampex Micro 88 solid-state stereo tape deck; this all but ruined a recording he was making of a musical program at our church.

BTW, there do not seem to be any country-western stations in the New Orleans area, according to the list of stations in your post; however, I found, on RadioStationWorld.com, two C&W (country/western) stations on FM in the area, as well as one AM C&W station in a suburb of the city, so your area is not totally without country music.

WOMN might stay with its C&W format yet; with a 50kW signal, it could serve the entire New Orleans area quite well, at least during the day. I don't know, however, how large the city of New Orleans is, or the greater NO area for that matter; if the city and its suburbs put together make up a very large metropolitan area, then WOMN's 50kW daytime signal (and its lower power night pattern) could make for some very tough competition for listeners between it and the other C&W AM in town.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 11-16-2010 at 01:19 PM.