Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
yeah I still have two of the 3 original belts yet, I actually had several old VCR Belts laying around in my parts bin stash but only one of the belts was the correct size for what I needed (the biggest belt on this VCR) the other two belts were too small compared to what I had belt wise laying around, bad part is that I don't seem to have a ruler right now, so I can't measure anything right now, I have a couple of tape measures laying around but those won't work very well.
I would keep an eye open down at the Goodwill or at curbside for VCRs for belts.For $5 bucks .Its probably cheaper getting the belt that way then ordering one online after they hit you with the inflated shipping rates.I remember the old MCM electronics catalogs had a belt measuring gauge in them .You always can get a new belt if the Toshiba works great with the used test belt.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I would keep an eye open down at the Goodwill or at curbside for VCRs for belts.For $5 bucks .Its probably cheaper getting the belt that way then ordering one online after they hit you with the inflated shipping rates.I remember the old MCM electronics catalogs had a belt measuring gauge in them .You always can get a new belt if the Toshiba works great with the used test belt.
The bad part is that I had for a while an early 1980s Hitachi top loading VCR that ended up having more wrong with it than I could repair so I salvaged all but one of the belts out of the machine and the one belt I forgot to get out of the machine would of worked for the rear loading mechanism assembly (the loading mechanism for loading the tape into the heads.)
Old 10-01-2016, 10:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The bad part is that I had for a while an early 1980s Hitachi top loading VCR that ended up having more wrong with it than I could repair so I salvaged all but one of the belts out of the machine and the one belt I forgot to get out of the machine would of worked for the rear loading mechanism assembly (the loading mechanism for loading the tape into the heads.)
Yes.I understand that happening after getting rid of stuff.Two months down the road you need something off it.It happens all the time here.All of us are in the same boat on storage issues with little or no room to store everything.I'm out of room here and still taking in CRT TVs here like a 25 inch Panasonic and a Sanyo 19 inch set that I took in in the past week.I probably have enough 25 inch sets here to stack them up to make the Jeopardy game show set in my living room.All I need is Alex and his contestants .
Old 10-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Yes.I understand that happening after getting rid of stuff.Two months down the road you need something off it.It happens all the time here.All of us are in the same boat on storage issues with little or no room to store everything.I'm out of room here and still taking in CRT TVs here like a 25 inch Panasonic and a Sanyo 19 inch set that I took in in the past week.I probably have enough 25 inch sets here to stack them up to make the Jeopardy game show set in my living room.All I need is Alex and his contestants .
Yeah, I know that feeling, I had recently acquired an old Philco Townhouse TV from a local antique shop for $15 and I was wanting to restore it back to usable condition again but it turns out it might of been a little more than I could handle because the 'dag was coming off the back of the picture tube and the vertical oscillator is running at 30 hz instead of 60 hz causing the picture to be doubled ontop of itself and that's because there are some bad capacitors or something in the Vertical stage of the TV and it seems that it might be a little tricky to try and get to those caps to replace them besides them being rated at 1kV. Anyways I had acquired from Goodwill earlier this year a 1960s vintage Sony B & W Portable TV from the salvage and also a 1980s vintage Montgomery Wards 5" Portable Color TV that still works like new and all I had to do to it was readjust the picture adjustments in the back because the picture was kind of dark.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:52 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Yeah, I know that feeling, I had recently acquired an old Philco Townhouse TV from a local antique shop for $15 and I was wanting to restore it back to usable condition again but it turns out it might of been a little more than I could handle because the 'dag was coming off the back of the picture tube and the vertical oscillator is running at 30 hz instead of 60 hz causing the picture to be doubled ontop of itself and that's because there are some bad capacitors or something in the Vertical stage of the TV and it seems that it might be a little tricky to try and get to those caps to replace them besides them being rated at 1kV. Anyways I had acquired from Goodwill earlier this year a 1960s vintage Sony B & W Portable TV from the salvage and also a 1980s vintage Montgomery Wards 5" Portable Color TV that still works like new and all I had to do to it was readjust the picture adjustments in the back because the picture was kind of dark.
You could have that philco running with under $30 in parts, and a little effort.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 10-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You could have that philco running with under $30 in parts, and a little effort.
Yes but the only problem is that the UHF Tuner is busted on the TV because one of the tuner's drive gears (which was plastic on metal) split in two and I couldn't glue it back together and the only way I could fix the tuner is to get that gear off of an old Philco Predicta from the same time period that also had UHF (because the Philco Predictas used the same type of UHF Tuner assemblies as the Philco Townhouses did). but as we all know Philco Predictas are few and far between when it comes to finding them and when you do find them (even parts units) they can run into the hundreds of dollars which I can't afford.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:02 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Yes but the only problem is that the UHF Tuner is busted on the TV because one of the tuner's drive gears (which was plastic on metal) split in two and I couldn't glue it back together and the only way I could fix the tuner is to get that gear off of an old Philco Predicta from the same time period that also had UHF (because the Philco Predictas used the same type of UHF Tuner assemblies as the Philco Townhouses did). but as we all know Philco Predictas are few and far between when it comes to finding them and when you do find them (even parts units) they can run into the hundreds of dollars which I can't afford.
Just feed it a VHF channel and ignore the UHF....If the sun roof on your car refuses to open, but all else is good would you let that stop you from commuting to work in that car or keeping up with oil changes? Hell with no UHF on the air and no analog cable I have not even bothered trying to check if the UHF could work on some of my sets because it's existence is superfluous.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4