Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > International Vintage Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Canada rules !
Old 05-30-2014, 02:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lots of apartments and for that matter condos have 208 volt services, the dual rating makes sense. Usually the motor operates off 120 in a dryer so it gets full voltage either way and you just get a bit less heat output.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Some nicer apt. complexes have laundry closets (ie a closet with a non-coin-op washer and dryer, and sometimes the waterheater inside) in each apartment...I should know I've lived in one or two in the past.
That makes sense. I've only ever lived in buildings with shared facilities (or in one case, no facilities at all, yuck). Mine was curbed outside of a large low-rise apartment complex, I assumed it was just a tenant carry-in.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Canada didn't have many of its own brands, i.e. Electrohome sets were re-badged Mitsubishis for a while. No idea what the Viking sets were based on, it was an Eaton's house brand.
A few Rogers sets made it across the border in the 60s, I remember some old folks in Buffalo with one.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I feel two exceptional makes for TVs in the 50's in Canada were Sparton in London Ontario and Dumont sets manufactured by Canadian Avionics. Sets made by these companies were manufactured into the 60's with the superior point-to-point wiring. I once had a Canadian Sparton portable TV, the construction of which was amazingly good.
Audiokarma
Old 05-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I didn't know that Sparton was a Canadian make. I'd get that '58 console that's available locally but chances are the owner wants a lot more than I could afford. She's holding out for higher offers.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
What's ironic is I just picked up a Canadian Marconi table top tv from 1953 which is loaded full of made in England parts... It came up just as I got the predicta for really cheap, it's amazing how primitive it is compared to the predicta
My fleetwood was also full of "Hunts" brand capacitors which also came from there.

As an interesting tidbit, there was also some talk a while back about Fleetwood re-badging and selling Grundig sets from across the pond.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Lots of apartments and for that matter condos have 208 volt services, the dual rating makes sense. Usually the motor operates off 120 in a dryer so it gets full voltage either way and you just get a bit less heat output.
If you had a place that had 3 phase 240V "power and light" (the "light" means the usual grounded centertapped 240V power, and "power" is a "wild leg" 2nd phase 240V connected to one of the legs of the "light", creates a delta pattern 240V. the wild leg to ground measures 208V. You could connect the 240V heater element across that 2nd phase 240V, and the 115V motor connects between the neutral (ground) and the "light" 115V line. Also any 115V electromechanical timers as well.

There's single family houses in my town that are fed this 240V delta pattern "power and light". Dating back to the late 50's, when central air was a rare luxury. They must have used industrial HVAC units, thus requiring the "power and light" connections. Electrical code doesn't allow anything above 125V to ground in a house anymore, these places must be grandfathered.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I didn't know that Sparton was a Canadian make. I'd get that '58 console that's available locally but chances are the owner wants a lot more than I could afford. She's holding out for higher offers.
Sparton was a Canadian brand electronics co. Not connected w/Sparton U.S.A.

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1956-Sparton-brochure.JPG

-Steve D.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
If you had a place that had 3 phase 240V "power and light" (the "light" means the usual grounded centertapped 240V power, and "power" is a "wild leg" 2nd phase 240V connected to one of the legs of the "light", creates a delta pattern 240V. the wild leg to ground measures 208V. You could connect the 240V heater element across that 2nd phase 240V, and the 115V motor connects between the neutral (ground) and the "light" 115V line. Also any 115V electromechanical timers as well.

There's single family houses in my town that are fed this 240V delta pattern "power and light". Dating back to the late 50's, when central air was a rare luxury. They must have used industrial HVAC units, thus requiring the "power and light" connections. Electrical code doesn't allow anything above 125V to ground in a house anymore, these places must be grandfathered.
Learn something new every day - thank you. I have absolutely never seen this system employed here in western Canada, but everything here is quite new compared with what's out east. I would love to have three phase power at home!
Audiokarma
Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Phillips produced two horrible ugly Holland made NTSC chassis K6 and K7 that were real K9s on the bench, When working would have stunning color depth like non other. Were these sets sold in the US market as they were Canada? Looking for a K6 or K7 (Had a few of these sets, Wish i would have kept one)
Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raster View Post
Phillips .. NTSC chassis K6 and K7 .. Were these sets sold in the US market as they were Canada?
Yeah, why wouldn't GIANT Philips NV market its "world TV" (K series) in world's largest market, USA?
Especially after making an NTSC version for Canada?
And after buying Sylvania & Magnavox to break into USA market?
Something seems to have gone very wrong after they paid up for Sylvania & Magnavox: Was it the dumping of TVs into the non-tariff-protected US from Japan that made Philips' US operation run in the red? Certainly no place to try and sell their deluxe K-series when people are shopping price in a "buyers'-market".

Seems Philips engineered a cheaper single-board chassis in their non-union? Tennessee plant. I bought one of these TVs, the power supply blew up - a common problem it turned out. Looking at schematic and a Motorola application manual I had handy, I was stunned to see the switch-mode power supply was identical to the suggested circuit in the Motorola book
Old 09-12-2014, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Am I completely right in assuming thatt Canada used US standards precisely? No changes at all?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:05 PM
M is for Memory

I believe that was the case for broadcasters. However I believe they adopted it slower than in the us...Especially receiver standards. For instance they adopted color later, mandated all receivers have UHF later etc.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-14-2014, 05:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

They also have the same spectral channel assignments, so US TV set will work there. Canada very compliant to US hegemony - and they are rewarded for it (NORAD contracts)
Audiokarma