Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Aren't prices a lot higher in Canada? Maybe it isn't as high as we think.
Good point, Dave!

Today a Canadian dollar is worth only 77 cents here in the U.S.

So MIPS' $3500CDN is only $2,700 in US dollars.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you've been burnt on a lot of bad automatic trans look for something that uses a Ford C6 auto. They are grenade proof and generally really solid. When I got my Lincoln at 57K on the clock the trans fluid was a pinch dark and there was an occasional speck of metal on some level checks...It leaks enough that instead of changing the fluid once a year I end up putting about that much in it some years. Now at 70K of hauling that suburban weight sedan with lots of hard accelerating and hills, it still does everything it should despite people telling me near the start that I should have it rebuilt...I probably will someday, but I can't help but like how long it is lasting.
Yep, the C6 is almost industructible. In a car you should get 300K miles out of it with a oil change or 2. Ive ran them in trucks for many years and to show you my love of that tranny, I put one in my 1992 truck instead of its crappy 5 speed manual. That year did not come with them so I did some searching for parts to do it but worth it all. the only one I ever wore out was in a low geared 1/2 ton with over 300K. Cars have a lot less wind resistance so will last longer. The only downfall of the C6 is a little less mileage as they eat horsepower.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Never authorize a tear down of a transmission or something terribly major like that. Once they've taken it apart, they've got you by the balls and can charge you anything they like (like $3500 for a simple old fashioned transmission), because it's in their shop and it's in pieces. You gotta pay them to tear it down whether or not you OK'd the repair, and if you decide to take it somewhere else, it'll be in pieces and the next mechanic will charge you more because of it, plus the towing. A trans on that is maybe a $2000 job, perhaps up to $2500, but too late now.
I didn't tow it to their shop instead of my house just for them to admire it, did I? It's almost like I wanted them to repair it because there are no other practical options. I'll do body, electrical, brakes and the engine but I don't dare disturb the dragons and unspoken black magic that lives inside the transmission of every car. I'll leave that to a professional.

Quote:
Good point, Dave!

Today a Canadian dollar is worth only 77 cents here in the U.S.

So MIPS' $3500CDN is only $2,700 in US dollars.
Correct. Your USD price may seem lower but after conversion it's a different number.
I know someone who recently paid $3500USD for a Mercedes. That sounds like a great deal until you convert to $CDN, then it's $4545.05 before taxes.

Last edited by MIPS; 09-18-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:03 AM
'A Disgusting Brony'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I don't dare disturb the dragons and unspoken black magic that lives inside the transmission of every car. I'll leave that to a professional.
Heh. And that right there is why I make a living.

Also, I didn't realize the disparity between our currencies, last time I looked, they weren't that far off. :/
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

An engine at least uses cheap specialty tools half the time, the other half you can make do with something as simple as a long breaker bar instead of a chain wrench. Transmissions are something where cleanliness and absolute tolerances are a bit more critical. I simply do not have the space or finances to afford most of the tools a transmission requires to service them, plus you try not to regularly drop and open your transmission for service when your life isn't drag racing.
Audiokarma
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
An engine at least uses cheap specialty tools half the time, the other half you can make do with something as simple as a long breaker bar instead of a chain wrench. Transmissions are something where cleanliness and absolute tolerances are a bit more critical. I simply do not have the space or finances to afford most of the tools a transmission requires to service them, plus you try not to regularly drop and open your transmission for service when your life isn't drag racing.
I know of some manual trans nuts who have gotten too good at replacing clutches.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.