Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

rca radiotelephone/radiomarine

hey guys
picked this up last weekend
rca radiotelephone all I can find is ads for it
any one know or have schematic for it

thanks sam
Old 07-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Banned

Just to get this thread some start up comments...

I know very little about these radio/telephone modules but I suspect that this was used as the intercom/radio system for a large boat of some sort (like a yacht or a house boat) and one would of more than likely used this thing to make phone calls, talk to others on the boat (e.g. other crew members or family members kind of like your old intercom systems that were installed in homes years ago) and also to play music over the sound system on the boat using the AM Only tuner built into the unit.

I certainly don't know of where the service manual for this unit would be (whether it would of been in Sam's or in Rider's) but if you were to find the chassis number for the unit (usually stamped in ink on the chassis somewhere) you might be able to search the Sam's index for it and see if you have any luck there. Also try searching the model number of the unit on Nostalgia Air by means of their Rider's Archives you might be surprised to find it might be in there.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

looks pretty cool.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its an AM marine radio.

This is actually a ship-to-shore marine radio on the old (pre-SSB HF or FM-VHF) AM band. These became obsolete for shipboard use with the mandatory introduction of SSB and band reassignments, if I recall correctly in the 1960s. Hams have sometimes adapted them for 160m AM use. It has sockets for 4 sets of TX/RX crystals which are empty on this one- probably removed to prevent accidental keyup on the obsolete and now illegal marine band. Since the old marine band was directly above the BC AM band, most of these sets also included a tuning cap for broadcast reception. Because the receiver was designed to receive relatively weak 2 way transmissions, sensitivity should be rather good.

I have a somewhat later Pearce-Simpson Bimini radio which is very similar, but uses a solid state HV supply rather than the vibrator supply that this one uses.