Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzutra View Post
Didn't know that. I still do not own a flat screen.. Perhaps the only person in Canada that doesn't own a cell phone either...lol
Wrong, I don't have a cell phone either and that's by choice. I don't want a flat screen TV either. I watch a 1976 Electrohome console almost every day.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Wrong, I don't have a cell phone either and that's by choice. I don't want a flat screen TV either. I watch a 1976 Electrohome console almost every day.
Now that's grand! I was going to "like" your post but apparently there's no option for that here...
congrats from the second slowest town in Canada - next to New Glasgow...LOL
Old 06-28-2017, 05:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well my tech stopped bye over the weekend on his way to visit a friend. He was here to tune in the bias on my amplifiers however took a peek at the ol-television set. He looked at the broken piece, and you all were right, it was just the black plastic cover over the end of the tube. He saw the tube was lighting up from behind. He thinks it must be something aside from the tube.
He'll be taking a look at it next month when he gets things settle from vacation...
Finger's crossed.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

Hey, maybe we could start some sort of a peer group of like minded folks. We could help people understand that our brain isn't a device that we whip out of our pocket when/if we have a though or a question. We could challenge young adults who have NEVER known a world without cell and "smart" phones to go without. Of course this would be similar to drug withdraw, so there would have to be a support structure like a 24hr hotline for those frozen in confusion and withdraw.

It could start a trend of sorts; maybe even a reality TV show like Naked and Afraid! I've been thinking for years that the smarter and safer we get through technology, the dumber many people seem, and the safe world we gained is way more dangerous than what came before everything being safe.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Count me in too as another member who doesn't have a cellphone. I hate them and am sick of people looking down at or talking into those sheets of plastic anywhere and everywhere you go. "In an emergency it's invaluable" - well, I'm 50 and have never once desperately needed one in an emergency. I'm bilked enough money to have a home phone, TV, and Net service!
Audiokarma
Old 07-22-2017, 09:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a cell phone as I live off grid so it's cell phone or no phone. Don't get what you hate, some folks are glued to the TV all day and some watch a bit and get on with their lives. Me, I love mine. So useful. Working on a concrete form yesterday, whipped out my phone and used my carpentry app to work out the diagonal length (to square it up) and the volume of concrete I need. It's like everything else, moderation.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlabs View Post
I have a cell phone as I live off grid so it's cell phone or no phone. Don't get what you hate, some folks are glued to the TV all day and some watch a bit and get on with their lives. Me, I love mine. So useful. Working on a concrete form yesterday, whipped out my phone and used my carpentry app to work out the diagonal length (to square it up) and the volume of concrete I need. It's like everything else, moderation.
"Hate" is a harsh word. Of course it is something that can be useful. It's just that many people are obsessed with it. At get-togethers people ogle it at the dinner table with phones "chiming" every 10 minutes, at work while they're supposed to be concentrating, in their cars at lights holding up traffic, and rambling on them at stores, restaurants, trains, gyms, etc. What did everyone do years ago if we desperately need them now? Well, that's my rant on it, I wont highjack the thread anymore.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:42 PM
M is for Memory

I'm currently still on a dumb cellphone. I want a smart phone though...Being able to google useful info when I'm out and about, entertain my self when out and crazy bored (and I do get crazy when I'm bored enough), and check prices of antique stuff I want to buy is a god send...Mom, who I've tried to talk into upgrading all our phones to smart phones accomplished this poorly by calling dad at his work and having him look this stuff for her on his computer.

Once I'm done saving up for/buying a good SUV a smart phone is next/even on the list with my hobby stuff.

It is easy enough to mock members of my generation over obsessed with their phones...A year or two back me and my friends were catching a bite before bowling and watched this couple our age at another table on a date spending the whole time on their phones likely talking to each-other...We shook our heads and joked about them a good bit. "If their texting goes well enough, perhaps they will park somewhere remote and sext each other later."

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4